DirecTV Blackout and why I love my HR10

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by annenoe, Apr 11, 2008.

1. annenoe

annenoe He's a Smooth Fox

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...

Advertisements

So, not sure what happened last night (and don't really care at this point), but I had been happily anticipating the return of my favorite Thursday night comedies (Earl, 30 Rock, Office) and as my DirecTV brand HD DVR switched over to NBC to start recording at 8 pm, we get a splash screen saying something to the effect "don't call us, it's not our fault, but there's no signal". This is **exactly** why I was annoyed to get "upgraded" to the D* HD DVR that doesn't have the OTA feed. If that was my only option, I would have missed the entire nights worth of shows - not sure when signal came back - I didn't care ;-)

But wait, there's my trusty old, "obsolete* HR10-250 in the other room hooked up to a nice 47" flat screen Samsung (our backup setup) that is getting beautiful OTA feed. We just went in there to watch.

This is why I keep my HR10-250. Having just upgraded my antenna feed to a rooftop, I can guarantee nice HD feeds for the majors.

So, don't let anyone try to tell me it's obsolete or of no value. It certainly saved the day last night!

2. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...

Uhh, my DirecTV HD DVR has OTA inputs. In fact, all of the DirecTV HD DVRs do.

3. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    No, they all don't.

The older HR20 does come with OTA built in, but those are being phased out in favor of the new HR21 which does NOT have OTA built in. DirecTV is beta testing a new OTA tuner 'add-on' for the HR21 called the AM21. Here's a review of it from DBSTalk:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=123012

4. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    My apologies, I thought this was already in the wild.

5. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA

Advertisements

My HR20 has OTA inputs but I am over 70 miles from the NBC towers so I missed Earl, 30 Rock, and The Office last night. :(

6. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    So you contradicted yourself here. You said "all of the DirecTV HD DVRs do" but then you you say you thought there was an external box which is not the same as them having it built in. In fact the external box is going to cost $100.00.

7. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    So what happened to the feeds and was it everyone, just the national feeds or several markets? Either way I guess I am glad I switched back to using the OTA on my HR20's last week.

8. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    I am in the Houston Market. The other day during an Astros Game, the same splash screen was on my HR21, HDVR2 and RCA Combo box.

I tuned to the station using OTA and the station itself had a spalsh screen and just audio?

Not saying it didn't happen to you, but your thread title about the blackout and the content of your post do not co-inside.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    NY NBC HD was AWOL last night. Started about midnight eastern time.

10. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    $100? Have you seen this on the Directv website, or is it speculation from what the 3rd party vendors have as a guesstimate. Last thing I saw was about 60.00 US

11. LlamaLarry

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Where did you see $60? DirecTV website?

12. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    That was the announced price at CES.

There are a couple online dealers taking pre-orders and they are charging $99. Just in case I guess. But I believe they say that they will charge only the actual retail price. But still, why take the chance and get overcharged.

13. LlamaLarry

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Yeah, I have seen the $99 preorders only on a few sites, but was hoping to find a $60 outlet for my dad and his HR21. I OTOH have two HR20's so I don't need one. ;)

14. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    It looks like valueelectronics has them pre-order for $60.

15. annenoe

annenoe He's a Smooth Fox

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
    Sorry, let me clarify.

I have two HD DVRs. My original HR10-250 which I can use to see my locals in HD. And a DirecTV HD DVR which does NOT have OTA. So, when my DirecTV feed went out and I could not watch NBC HD, I was able to switch to my old "obsolete" HR10-250 and the feed was perfect.

In other words, my satellite was out but because I don't have OTA on my new DVR, my old trusty HR10 saved the day.

It's just another reason to keep my HR10.

16. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    Jerk much? I guess I considered the tuner attachment to be one box because there is not, as far as I know, a separate controller for it and it will be controlled from the HR21. I was also under the impression that new customers that requested an HR20 and received an HR21 instead would be getting the tuner box for free. But I'm sure you'll point out to me where I'm wrong and have contradicted myself again.

Thanks.

17. Starrbuck

Starrbuck New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    North Texas
    No problems with the DirecTV NBC feed in Dallas/Fort Worth on that night.

18. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    Still,

How is this a DirecTv Blackout? Maybe the signal from the station to DTV had an issue? Who's to blame? BOTH.

And in my case, I have an OTA antenna connected to my HDTV, and the signal was still out, but at least I had audio.

I have to SD DVR's (combo's) so I can still record the locals if needed. I find myself watching HD stuff live whenever possible and will choose the OTA signal over the DVR's tuner.

19. AVPhan

AVPhan New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    My forever reliable HR10-250 is still being used to back up the forever faulty HR20-100.

20. rickmeoff

rickmeoff New Member

Aug 25, 2006

hey, family forum!:D