DirecTV and Tivo extend relationship 3 years

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by OneEyedWonder, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Apr 12, 2006 #1 of 157
    OneEyedWonder

OneEyedWonder New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    New Jersey

Advertisements

ALVISO, Calif., April 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO),
    the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders
    (DVR), and DIRECTV, Inc. (NYSE: DTV), the nation's leading digital television
    service provider, today announced a three-year extension to the TiVo-DIRECTV
    commercial agreement.

Existing DIRECTV TiVo subscribers will be able to continue to receive the
    award-winning TiVo(R) service, with TiVo providing ongoing maintenance and
    support. In addition, TiVo and DIRECTV agree not to assert patent rights
    against the other. The agreement also extends the advertising relationship
    between the two companies. DIRECTV will continue to service existing DIRECTV
    receivers with TiVo service. While specific financial terms of the agreement
    were not disclosed, the recurring monthly economics of the agreement are
    similar to the economics for DIRECTV receivers with TiVo service activated
    since 2003.

"We are pleased to have reached an agreement with DIRECTV that will allow us
    to continue to provide our service to the more than 2 million DIRECTV TiVo
    households," said TiVo CEO Tom Rogers. "As the pioneer in the DVR market, we
    have created a service that is highly valued by consumers because of our
    technology, the wide range of our unique features and the unparalleled ease of
    our user experience. This agreement reflects TiVo's popularity among DIRECTV
    subscribers and importantly respects the value of our intellectual property as
    well."

"By extending our agreement with TiVo, we are ensuring quality support for
    DIRECTV customers who already own a DIRECTV TiVo unit," said Romulo Pontual,
    DIRECTV's chief technology officer. "We are pleased to cooperate with TiVo in
    a way that will best serve DIRECTV and our DIRECTV TiVo customers."

2. Apr 12, 2006 #2 of 157
    Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    This is good news, I think. Perhaps NOW we'll get the 6.2 upgrade on the HD box!

3. Apr 12, 2006 #3 of 157
    Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    I would love to hope this means anything other than status quo for anbother 3 years, but I will be very cautious.

4. Apr 12, 2006 #4 of 157
    malloryd

malloryd New Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Sterling,...
    I wonder if this has anything to do with how well received the R15's are with the customer base?

5. Apr 12, 2006 #5 of 157
    shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002

Advertisements

Gawd I hope this means something tangible.
    D*, if it does means something tangible TELL US, cause once I leave for the S3, I'm not coming back.
    -Shaown

6. Apr 12, 2006 #6 of 157
    SleepyBob

SleepyBob Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I don't see much for us here. It sounds like A) TiVo continues to get DirecTiVo revenue for three more years, and B) DirecTV doesn't get sued for patenet infringement.

Nothing about marketing new TiVo sales, nothing about upgrading the service.

7. Apr 12, 2006 #7 of 157
    ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I'm actually a bit pessimistic on this report, and let me explain why. Every time someone asks about the future of their DTiVo, the standard answer is "it will work until the box breaks, and then you just have to fix it", and people point to normal receivers circa 1996 or UltimateTV boxes that all still work. However, reading this press release, I now believe it was a necessary step to keep the DTiVos working. These things run software licensed from TiVo (not owned by DirecTV), and as long as DirecTV pays the bill, everything is OK. But as soon as the agreement runs out (which will now happen later than it was set to), TiVo could very well make the boxes go dark. I don't know if they would (might be bad PR, but on the other hand, they're not in the business of giving their software away for free), but they certainly could.

8. Apr 12, 2006 #8 of 157
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    If they had not renewed the agreement, TiVo would not receive ANY further income from existing subscriptions and DirecTV could not activate any new TiVo receivers. The patent agreement is why DirecTV renewed; the income stream is why TiVo renewed.

9. Apr 12, 2006 #9 of 157
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    wonder if it's any coincidence the agreement ends in 2009 ;) nahhh

hey at least when my new hdtivo arrives today I can now tell my wife it's guaranteed to work 3 more years... in writing!

why would they need to agree not to sue over patents? I didn't think the directv dvr had skip or other 'infringable' stuff.

10. Apr 12, 2006 #10 of 157
    Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    I would like to see a software release for all Series2 based units including the HR10-250 that includes the enhanced feature set of 7.2.x. Even without TiVoToGo it would be a nice feature upgrade.

11. Apr 12, 2006 #11 of 157
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    True, but I would think that with TiVo giving up their right to sue for patent infringment that means that it's TiVo that stands to lose if the deal isn't renewed. Most likely this is to stave off any possibility of a "Trade in Your TiVo because it stops working next year" program from DTV.

But you're right, it doesn't seem like good news for any customer who's not happy just to keep the lights on for the next four years. The last hope of any future for TiVo with DTV was the leverage a patent win against Dish would give them. This surrenders that leverage with very little to show for it.

It may be that this is a move from TiVo to avoid the appearance of an immediate crisis if their Dish suit should fail.

12. Apr 12, 2006 #12 of 157
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I was going to search the other threads since i have no clue what other updates are out there but then figured why bother since none of it is certain yet. I hate getting my hopes up. ignorace is bliss and all that good stuff

13. Apr 12, 2006 #13 of 157
    MarcusInMD

MarcusInMD New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Fat chance this means anything for us. I am willing to bet though that it means that DirecTVs own HD DVR will be even later now. Stall...Stall...Stall...

14. Apr 12, 2006 #14 of 157
    danieljanderson

danieljanderson Proud to preach TiVo

Nov 18, 2002
    As I read it, TiVo will handle the maintinence on the the DirecTiVo boxes. In the past, TiVo has always said that they had feature upgrades for DirecTiVo's, just that DirecTV didn't choose to pass them on.

I'll bet you see them now.

15. Apr 12, 2006 #15 of 157
    ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I'll bet you won't. They need more, not less, incentive to move to the R15.

The agreement calls for "mutually agreed development" or something to that effect. DirecTV is still in the driver's seat here.

16. Apr 12, 2006 #16 of 157
    lutton

lutton New Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Personally, I'm optimistic about this announcement. Look at TiVo and Dish, at trial. At least TiVo and DirecTV have a plan to carry forward together.

17. Apr 12, 2006 #17 of 157
    DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    Could be the beginning of something.... Remember, when the TIVO D* split was announced TIVO was on the ropes with no other major cable/sat deal in place. The Comcast deal surely changed the status quo. When it was announced, TIVO said they intended to go back and forge deals with D* and others. Now with the DISH lawsuit, grumbling from some of Direct TV's best customers, and a more willing to agree to terms TIVO it could happen.

Still waiting... but seeing a glimmer of hope!

18. Apr 12, 2006 #18 of 157
    jautor

jautor Also wants a pony

Jul 1, 2001
    Houston, TX
    The key to us receiving software upgrades is probably the advertising platform... I would think that TiVo would want all of the potential revenue stream from ads turned on as part of the agreement. And, AFAIK, that would require running newer software.

Now, whether or not we'd see additional functionality remains to be seen. I'd like to get the performance improvement on my HD box, and hopefully some amount of broadband support. I think TiVo ToGo may be too much to hope for...

Jeff

19. Apr 12, 2006 #19 of 157
    AaRdVarK3

AaRdVarK3 New Member

Aug 12, 2003
    I think the key quote here is "In addition, TiVo and DIRECTV agree not to assert patent rights
    against the other."

In my opinion, everything else in the release is just spin. D* paid TiVo for indemnity. If TiVo's case against E* stands, then D* is in a very, very bad position, becuase due to their past relationship with TiVo, a pretty devestating patent case could be made since D* had intimate knowledge of how TiVo's patents are implemented.

So in my opinion, nothing changes. My HR10 will get the job done until Adelphia gets HD and the Series3 comes out.

20. Apr 12, 2006 #20 of 157
    ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Granted I haven't kept up with the standalone releases, but what, exactly, are we "missing" with regards to advertising features. I get yellow stars and TiVomatics just fine, and have since version 4ish, maybe earlier.

In any case, 6.x already has features in the code that are disabled by the very fact it's running on a DirecTV box. So even if we did get a software update, it wouldn't autmatically mean anything at all for HMO/HME/TiVo-2-Go/etc.