Directv and Nielsens

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by trixie, Jan 19, 2006.

1. trixie

trixie New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Hi All, I'm looking for some help. I have an R10 Directv Tivo and I just became a Nielsen family.

Everything is fine except that I am noticing a lot of artifacts in the picture (both live and Tivo'd). Lot's of pixelization.

I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that has experienced this problem?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Sounds like poor signal level. Should have nothing to do with Nielsen.

3. trixie

trixie New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    It is more evident in the locals, but everything was fine until the Nielsen boxes were installed.

4. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    How are the Nielsen boxes hooked up?

Between the R10 and the TV? Or some other method

5. trixie

trixie New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    It's really difficult to identify the path because there is so much cabling and black boxes in addition to the set top Nielsen box.

I have called my Nielsen tech rep and alerted him to the issue. I was wondering if this was a known issue with Nielsena and Directv/tivo. Something that cannot be fixed.

6. herdfan

herdfan New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hurricane, WV
    They have upgraded their systems then. I was a Nielsen house once, but when I told them I had satellite, they told me I had to write all my viewing down.

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Ah, then indeed the Nielsen box may be reducing your picture quality. I thought that Nielsen could tap into the TiVo data directly if you opted in.

8. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    A couple of things..

1. As a N Household, you are not suppossed to tell anybody.

2. (I'm breaking rule #1) I am a Neilsen houshold with 3 directivo's and have been for the past 1 year or so. I don't write down jack. You give them permission to monitor your viewing from your directivo box.

3. I assume they get it from the phone call or something.

9. mphare

mphare New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    They can (and do) ;)