DirectTV Hudges TIVO unit problems

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by RussZ, Mar 15, 2007.

1. RussZ

RussZ New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    The unit seems to be freezing when I am watching recorded shows. I am also hearing the sound on the movies/shows not sounding correct. When I go through the menus it takes a very long time to open up menus. Any ideas what could be happening? Anything I can do to fix it? I am new to the Tivo world, so please explain in noob terms! :p

Thanks guys.

2. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  3. RussZ

RussZ New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Welp, now my Tivo won't reboot. I went into the setup to check the messages, and it froze there for 20 min. I tried unplugged it and restarted it and now its stuck at the powering up screen. :( Been that way for 2 hrs.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Sorry RussZ .... time to replace/upgrade your Tivo's hard drive.

It's not that hard. You can buy pre-imaged upgrade drives from the store here and other places, like Weaknees and 9thTee. Or you can download some do-it-yourself software tools from DVRUpgrade and use their InstantCake utility to create a new Tivo hard drive using your own PC.

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The most common problem with tivo's is the Hard Drive dying. Just think about it. Its like a Computer, except the cooling on most Tivo's is far under par.

Also, a Computer has Defrag Programs, something Tivo is sadly missing.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Defrag is BS. Every person I come across who talks about defrag also has a computer loaded with spyware and a bunch of useless junk.

The drive dies because it is in use 24 hours a day, not because of some magical defrag, which won't do anything to help a hard drive. This is not a 20 meg drive in 1991.

7. DonDon

DonDon New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Near...
    Hi all.

Just remember that Tivo is built on top of Linux (which flavor I'm not exactly sure of), and the ext2 file system is much more resistant to fragmenting than most flavors of Microsuck file systems.

Like was mentioned earlier, hard drives are better than they used to be, but since they have moving mechanical parts that need to fit precise tolerances, they are naturally more prone to failure than any other part of a Tivo or your computer.

Don

8. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Linux has nothing at all to do with fragmentation on the TiVo. The video is written to a proprietary file system that uses very large blocks. The TiVo filesystem does fragments but since it uses very large blocks the cost of seeking vs. reading does not matter.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    It's been awhile, but I think the TiVo is continually doing work to prevent fragmentation. If you look in the system info menu, you'll see something called GC, which stands for Garbage Collection. Exactly what that does I'm not sure, but I think it must move files to reduce whatever fragmentation that does occur. Logically, even with large blocks there has to be some fragging.

10. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Yes, large blocks do fragment but again, the read time domininates the seek time with large blocks. With large blocks seeking has a much smaller impact.

11. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    Frangmentation is a function of the filesystem type. Old filesystem formats could quite easily result in fragmentation issues due to poor file management and thus require a defragment utility.

Most modern filesystems do not have a fragmentation problem - at least as long as you don't keep them full all the time. If you are constantly scraping for space, things will fragment more and more - do yourself a favor and clear out a good portion of the drive.

I avoid all "defragmentation" products as they don't really provide a huge benefit, and often seem to be a detriment - I've had a number of Windows systems actually perform far WORSE after a defragmentation. And Windows should be reinstalled periodically (I do it every couple of years) because it fills with other non-disk-related crud.

As for the TiVo, as stated previously the video is on a proprietary filesystem using a large block size which should reduce or eliminate the need for defragmentation. Some fragmentation is expected - but this should not be excessive and should not harm the hard drive in any way.

As for Garbage Collection, that is a term typically used for memory allocation than disk fragmentation. I'm not sure if the "GC" refers to it, or in what context. My guess is it has do to with the guide info database.

12. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Well, all 4 of my Computer Systems automatically defrag Once a Week. And none of them have any Spyware or useless junk on them at all.

As for the Drive Dying because it is in use 24 Hours a Day, all 4 of my Systems are in use 24/7. And the smallest Drive I have is 120 Meg.

The problem on Tivo's, as well as Directv/Tivo units is cooling. For example, a DSR6000 has one cooling unit, which is inside the unit. It does very little to actually cool anything. Compare that to one of my Systems, that has 4 80mm Intake Fans, and 1 120mm Outtake Fan. Even under Full Load it runs cool.

A major killer of Computers/Tivos etc is cooling. Bottom line.