DirectTV and Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by digitalrookie, Sep 1, 2007.

1. digitalrookie

digitalrookie New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    I have a Dual Tuner DVR from that I purchased from Tivo. I am moving back in with my parents and they have DirectTV. Can I use my DVR with DirectTV without a DirectTV receiver?

2. old7

old7 That's all I know! TCF Club

Aug 7, 2002
    Medford, Oregon
    No, you will need a DirecTV receiver or DVR.

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    You will lose your dual tuner functionality as there is only one input for the DirecTV receiver, and the other input only works with analog cable.

It will effectively become a regular S2 instead of an S2DT.

phox

4. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Yes, you can use it but, as was posted, it'll have only single-tuner capability. Route the signal from output of the Directv receiver to the input of the Tivo, and the output of the Tivo to the TV. Use an IR blaster from the Tivo to the Directv receiver to allow the tivo to change the channel on the receiver.

5. old7

old7 That's all I know! TCF Club

Aug 7, 2002
    Medford, Oregon
    Did you read his question? He asked if he could use his DT TiVo with DirecTV WITHOUT a DirecTV Receiver. He CAN NOT use his DT TiVo unless he has a DirecTV receiver.

As you suggest, if he does get a DirecTV receiver and uses it with he DT TiVo he will basically have a single tuner TiVo. But that is not the question he asked. I am concerned that he might mistake your "Yes" for the ability to use his TiVo with DirecTV without a DirecTV receiver.

To reiterate, there are no stand alone TiVos that can be used with DirecTV without a DirecTV receiver. DirecTV at one time made a DirecTV-TiVo and a HD DirecTV-TiVo, but they are no longer in production.

6. scottjf8

scottjf8 That A-hole

Nov 11, 2001
    McKinney, TX
    You need a directv receiver in order to decode the MPEG signal from Directv. S2 standalone will not.