DirecTivos won't work in new building?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Atomic Buffalo, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Atomic Buffalo

Atomic Buffalo New Member

Nov 21, 2002
    Worst Cost, USA

Advertisements

I have a Sony SAT-T60 and a DirecTV HR10-250. I'm moving into a new condo where DirecTV signal comes from a single satellite on the roof via a third-party service provider. They're telling me the signal is different, and I can only use a new DirecTV receiver eg D12, R16, or H23-700 -- they can't provide the "analog" signal my old Tivos need. There's only one cable that comes out of the wall.

When he sensed my resistance to giving up my old units, he said he could provide old signal, but because it's only one cable, I can only have one tuner. That's just differently-useless...

Is there really a newer kind of receiver signaling? Am I screwed?

I've been with DirecTV since 2002, but I went with them in the first place because they had the best Tivo experience. I can get Comcast in the building; is it time to switch providers and get a new Tivo?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Your building probably has the newer "Single Wire Multiswitch" technology. That's not compatible with older DirecTV equipment. Only the D12 SD Receiver, R16/R22 SD DVRs, H2x HD Receivers and HR2x HD DVRs support the SWM technology.

3. Atomic Buffalo

Nov 21, 2002
    Worst Cost, USA
    Yep. Thanks for the quick and informative reply.

Looks like it's time to punt DirecTV and dive into the world of Cablecards. The things we have to do for our Tivo...

4. johns70

johns70 Registered Offender

Mar 31, 2010
    I haven't been on the roof of your condo, but I'm pretty sure they don't have a satellite on the roof. :)

DIRECTV never had an "analog" signal.

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004

Advertisements

Why don't you give the DTV DVRs a try first? It probably won't cost you anything. Right now they are swapping old Tivos out for free, and no contract extension. The new DVRs can do a lot of things that Tivo never dreamed of. You might like them; lots of Tivo folks do. If not, bye-bye DTV.

You have little to lose, and CC can be a nightmare, not to mention the reduced HD channel count. If you do go Tivo HD/CC, you will pay a large premium for it.

6. Atomic Buffalo

Nov 21, 2002
    Worst Cost, USA
    Yeah, yeah, it's a satellite dish on the roof. I forgot what this forum is like....

Yeah, yeah, it's not analog, it's the old one-cable-per-tuner format versus the new Single Wire Multiswitch format. I didn't know what the new stuff was called (neither could the people I talked to articulate it) when I first posted.

I switched to Comcast and bought a new Tivo Premiere. That's right, I chose Tivo over content -- not what most people would do. Why? I'm fond of the Tivo interface (so naturally my new Tivo has a new one), and I remember the old days when Tivo was about the only DVR that didn't go buggy and lock up from time to time (so naturally my new Tivo is buggy and locks up from time to time).

7. Matt L

Matt L Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI
    And all my HR2xs are rock solid..........