DirecTiVos Using Cable/OTA?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Kingboo2314, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Kingboo2314

Kingboo2314 New Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Birmingham,...

Advertisements

I am thinking about getting a directivo as I have heard they are better than the mainstream ones but I don’t have DirecTV but the TiVo I am planning on buying has a cable and antenna in. Could it use OTA or cable? This is a Huges unit btw. Also, would it need the access card?

Attached Files:

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Just so I understand, you want a decade old satellite box to record OTA without a Tivo subscription? With all the OTA recording options available today, that would be the absolute last thing I would ever consider.

3. Kingboo2314

Kingboo2314 New Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Birmingham,...
    I am asking if I can. Not if it’s the best method out there.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    "Pass-through only" should be a hint.

I dunno where or why you heard that DirecTiVos are better; that's silly. Maybe it made some kind of sense in the days when that model was new, and the corresponding "cable" TiVo was only analog (the DirecTiVos have always recorded the digital signal directly -- but that model is only standard definition). But that was long, long ago (in tech years), and both kinds of "Series 2" units are obsolete now.

There is, AFAIK, exactly one DirecTiVo model that did support digital OTA, the HR10-250. It might even still work. But I don't think there's any reason at all to prefer it over a more modern TiVo. (And anyway -- that model in the picture is not it.)

5. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

And just to elaborate on that hint... "pass-through only" means that, if you turn the TiVo OFF (i.e., put it in Standby), it will then let a signal pass through from the input to the output, for a TV (or VCR, or whatever) to tune. In other words, it does absolutely nothing with the signal, at all. If you turn the TiVo ON, it instead feeds its own output over that bottom RF connector, on channel 3 or 4. The only reason this exists at all is to serve the most primitive kind of video setup (that used to be common*), where the only input on the TV is an RF connector. It would be generous to call it 1980's tech.

* Don't tell me it still is; I couldn't bear it.

6. Kingboo2314

Kingboo2314 New Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Birmingham,...
    I don’t need HD as I am only connecting it to a TV that only outputs SD. Is the one you said the only one that can use a OTA signal or is that the only HD one and there are more that only do SD?

7. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Why not buy a simple digital converter box then if you only need SD?

The picture you posted in your first post does analog only and not digital

8. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You simply cannot use that Hughes DVR for anything. DirecTV won't activate it, and it cannot record from the antenna input.

wmcbrine likes this.
  9. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    If you mean the first post of this thread, actually that model only does digital -- from satellite, SD only, and probably wouldn't even work with today's DirecTV. No analog at all, no digital OTA, no digital cable. (No digital Dish, even, just to make the point complete.)

10. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    If you expect to tune broadcast signals, it does need to handle HD -- maybe not to output it, but to decode it.

No DirecTiVos do what you want, at all. Put that out of your mind, seriously.

And yes, the HR10-250 is the only DirecTiVo that does any kind of OTA. But there are lots of other TiVos that support OTA.