DirecTivo or not???

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jschlegel, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jschlegel

jschlegel New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    I just signed up for a new DVR from DirecTV, is the R10 still a Tivo powered device or are both the R10 AND R15 now powered by DireTV software?

I might cancel the order if it's not Tivo!

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    The R10 is powered by TiVo. The R15 is not. Most likely if you ordered straight from D* you'll get a R15.

3. jschlegel

jschlegel New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    That does not make me happy. How bad is the R15? I heard some complaints about the early R15s.

Thanks for the quick reply SMS.

4. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Check the Directv forums at www.dbstalk.com for a lot more discussion on the R15.

There is good and bad to be said, but I have two R15's and one R10, and for the most part I prefer the R15. Others feel differently.

If you plan/need to network your dvr with other TiVo units, neither the R10 nor R15 are able to do that. There is an R10 hack that requires replacing IC's to enable networking. There is no modification for the R15.

Carl

5. jschlegel

jschlegel New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Thanks Carl. I found the dbstalk forum a little while ago and am doing some reading over there.

I have a DishNetwork DVR now and it's ok, but not a TiVo. I guess it's all in what you get used to using.

6. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    *nods* Quoted For Truth.

Actually, the R15 compares Very favorably with the Dish 522.
    I prefer the D* box. It definitely needs some work, though.
    Could've been a lot worse.

7. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth MRV Junkie

Jun 14, 2005
    Fountain, CO
    Regardless of what they send you (unless it's a Series 2), grab a Series 2 off eBay, regardless of whether it has a hard disk or not. You could use something such as InstantCake + PTVNet and the hard disk from your 522 to network your TiVo and do cool things....

8. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    Once you TiVo you will never go back. I second the buy a series 2 recommendation. (Philips 704 or 708 nod nod wink wink). Search for info on the new series of card problems