DirecTivo HD -- Jumping ahead?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by PeterGV, Aug 11, 2008.

1. PeterGV

PeterGV New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Mont Vernon, NH

Advertisements

I've been happily using my DirecTivo HD for quite a while. But, all of a sudden, I've been getting a REALLY annoying behavior.

Wonder if you-all have seen it or have any ideas as to what the problem might be.

While I'm recording a program in HD (from the satellite or OTA), if I watch that program not in "real time" (in other words, I'm watching at the 10 minute mark, but the program is currently 45 minutes into being recorded)... after a minute or so... TiVo will jump from where ever it is I'm watching to "real time".

Gosh, that's hard to explain.

So, for example, I'm recording a pre-season football game in HD, OTA. The game's been on and recording for an hour. If I start watching the game (from the beginning) within a few minutes, my TiVo will "jump ahead" to the 1 hour mark (that is, the point where it's currently recording).

It started doing this just a few days ago.

Everything works just fine on Standard Def... but it always happens on High Def.

What do you think??? Time to replace the disk drive? Swap out the Motherboard? Or am I experiencing the glory of a software problem?

I love my DirecTivo and don't plan on changing anytime soon,

Peter

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Assuming you're using an HR10-250 (which should be in the HD forum, BTW), the best guess I can make is that your 30 second skip needs to be reprogrammed.

Either that, or there's a key on the remote that's stuck. I have been on these boards since well before the HR10 was released and have never experienced or seen a problem reported where this is happening without some kind of trigger.

3. PeterGV

PeterGV New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Mont Vernon, NH
    Thanks for the quick reply.... Yes, HR10-250. Sorry for not posting in the HD forum, it's been (quite literally) a few years since I've been on the forums here.

Interesting that it might be something like the remote being stuck. Hmmmm.... think I'll try it with the remote stuffed under a pillow or something. That wouldn't account for it working properly on SD, but... still, something to try.

Thanks.

Anybody else? I searched the archives before posting (of course) to no avail,

Peter

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Any chance that the "Live TV" button was pressed?

5. PeterGV

PeterGV New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Mont Vernon, NH

Advertisements

Great question. The answer is "no" -- In fact, I'm not necessarily in "Live TV" when I jump forward. I'm just jumped to "real time" in the recording stream. You can tell the difference because you can't switch to the second tuner when your playing back a recording, but you can if you're in "Live TV".

Weird, huh??

P

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Did you do a reboot or restart? This can fix many weird problems.

7. PeterGV

PeterGV New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Mont Vernon, NH
    Oh, yes. Multiple times.

Given that I didn't find anything in the archives, and you experienced folks haven't heard of this behavior before, I think I'll (a) swap my disk drive and (b) swap my power supply while I'm at it.

It's not a real engineering answer to the problem, but the disk that's in there is the original, so it's time for an update in any case. Sigh... I really don't relish setting up my 35 or so season passes.

Thanks to all for the info so far. If anybody has a better idea, please do let me know,

Peter