DirecTivo + DirectHD -- need help

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by tflitter, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1 of 13
    tflitter

tflitter New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm new here and I can't seem to find anything on this subject yet.

I have a series 2 Directv Tivo that I've been using for a few months now and it seems to work well and I like it. I just bought a directv HD receiver to go with my new TV and I'm using it to get off-air channels right now (working just fine).

I currently have my system setup like this:
    -- Directv Tivo hooked up via S-video to TV and stereo with access card enabled, recording shows and watching locals and directv lineup
    -- Directv HD receiver hooked up via component to TV and stereo with access card DISABLED and right now just using it for over-the-air broadcast of HD and works very well that way

I would like to just have one receiver for all my channels YET keep being able to record directv shows (i know I can't in HD but that is fine). Is there anyway to hook up my Directv Tivo in "series" with my HD receiver and have it record shows? Or something similar? Its a pain right now to have to switch back and forth to the 2 video sources depending upon what I want to watch, etc.

Also -- because I now only have one line going into the Tivo receiver it gives me a message all the time when I switch channels, etc. that it is searching for signal on line 2 -- I press clear and it goes away...but comes back when I change channels -- this is annoying -- any ideas on this too?

I would like to get to the point where I don't have to have both access cards. I don't mind paying the TIVO service -- but would rather not have to pay another $5/month for a the extra receiver, etc. I think I read somewhere on here that you can do this with a "normal tivo" box -- which I don't have -- maybe I should sell this one on ebay and get just a normal tivo box?

Any thoughts or ideas on how to best set this up? The HD receiver is actually pretty nice and would like to use that as the main receiver.

2. Jan 3, 2006 #2 of 13
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Nope... you can't hook them in series.

For your line... If you can't run a 3rd line to your area... (which would be the optimal) solution, then go through the Guided Setup in the TiVo and tell it that you only have 1 line now.

Which HD reciever do you have? The H20?

AT CES, we are expecting more details about the HR20 (the DVR version of the H20).
    (as in dates and cost and features)

3. Jan 3, 2006 #3 of 13
    tflitter

tflitter New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Figured that was the answer. That is too bad. I really don't want to have to pay $10/month for 2 receivers hooked up to the same TV -- seems like a waste.

I could probably manage a 3rd line to the TV -- but for right now the 1 line is fine. I really never used the "watch and record" stuff -- but I do record alot and it was nice for recording 2 shows that were on at the same time....I"ll think about that.

I have the H10 -- just got the basic one and I like it so far. I have not activated the H10 yet -- I just ran through the setup -- it downloaded all the guide and stuff which is cool and right now I"m just using it for OTA HD with my antena...which is fine too -- just sucks having to switch video inputs back and forth as I want to see what is on, etc.

I got a good deal on the SD Dtivo....and a really good deal on the H10 -- so I'm not really out any money. Maybe I'll just ebay the DTivo and get a standard one that I can hook in series AND one that provides the networking stuff....not sure on the prices for those though.

4. Jan 3, 2006 #4 of 13
    morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    The tivo monthly free for a standalone unit will wipeout any of your expected savings...

5. Jan 3, 2006 #5 of 13
    tflitter

tflitter New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    yeah...I just realized that -- $12/month...ouch.

So then I guess my only benefit of doing something like that is being able to have all my channels (hd and non hd) on my guide

otherwise I guess it is:
    direct hd $5/month for receiver
    directivo $5/month for receiver + $5/month tivo service

or
    direct hd $5/month receiver
    Tivo $12/month service

The second one is easier I guess as the tivo only records as it is supposed to and my directv receiver does all else. However it would cost me $2/month more and the hassle of finding a tivo box and then selling mine, etc. The other benefit of doing that though is I would get true series 2 functionality.

Never is easy....

6. Jan 3, 2006 #6 of 13
    rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    With option 2, you don't have dual tuner functionality and the stand alone Tivo can't tune to the HD channel. It doesn't know how to send the IR signal for the "-" needed for digital channels. So you can't set up any season passes for HD channels. Finally, you will still have to switch back and forth between inputs on your TV since the Tivo won't pass HD signals.

-Robert

7. Jan 3, 2006 #7 of 13
    donivan

donivan New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    MD
    It sounds like the HR10-250 HD DirecTivo might meet all of your needs. Over the air HD, SD and HD recording capability, the Tivo interface you are already accustomed to, the upgrade to dual tuners using the exisitng 2 lines already in this room and the reduced cost of all this being handled by one box instead of two. Directv is offering pretty good deals on these units as of late. Just a thought...

8. Jan 3, 2006 #8 of 13
    TivoRaider

TivoRaider New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    If you have a dual line (two input) Tivo, do you have to pay for two services?

9. Jan 3, 2006 #9 of 13
    pallendo

pallendo New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Nope, you still only have one decoder. They keep saying recievers in the D* literature, but they really mean decoders.

If you have 2 DTivos, then you will pay once for the Tivo Service ($5/mo) and one additinal fee for a second Decoder.

-Peter

10. Rognish

Rognish New Member

May 16, 2005
    Powell, Ohio
    no additional cost for the second line on the tivo, also you might what to check out a harmony remote, i just got the h688 and it takes care of all my line in. i have a hd10-250, xbox, dvd, vcr,cd & gamecube hook up and it switches to the correct channels for each of the inputs and changes the input on the receiver also.

11. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I think you may have the costs slightly wrong.

Your DirecTV DVR (TiVo) has a $4.99 or $5.99 fee for the DVR.

The HD receiver will have the $4.99 mirroring fee.

So your total is only about $10/month.

And, you actually pay by the number of access cards that are in use.
    Decoder is a bad term to use, although accurate.

12. tflitter

tflitter New Member

Jan 3, 2006

But I also pay $5 mirror fee for the Tivo box considering I have 2 other Directv receivers in the house (upstairs). Basically by keeping it the way it is and activating the DTHD receiver i just got - I would have all the price I have now and another $5 mirror charge for that new receiver. Just a shame since it is for the same TV and really no different than my current TIVO setup -- i.e. right now I pay $5 for the mirror fee for my TIVO 2-line box and $5 for tivo service. All I want to do is use one of the lines for the HD box and one for Tivo. I can't watch them both at once (just like tivo) so why should I have to activate that card and pay another mirror fee -- that make sense?

Maybe I'll call DT and see if they would be cool enough to let me do that -- I doubt it since then I could take the receiver and use it anywhere -- but I'm not going to.....just want to use it on the same TV so I can get Tivo AND HD without having to shell our $200 for another receiver that does both....and then deal with trying to sell the 2 I have (which I got for $50 total).

13. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Because that's the DirecTV policy.

Go ahead. People have been trying this since DirecTV started. You would be the first if you convinced someone to waive the mirror fee.

-Robert