DirecTivo busted...what now?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by metalkaren, Aug 6, 2007.

1. metalkaren

metalkaren New Member

Aug 6, 2007

Advertisements

Now that my DirecTV HD Tivo is presumably busted, I am at a loss for what to do next. First, let me start off by saying that I love Tivo and would be willing to go out of my way to keep it, but it seems like it's just not possible at this point.

DirecTV is basically forcing me to buy one of their DVRs, but they are going to charge me $300 for it. This makes absolutely no sense since I have every intention of switching to Verizon Fios in a few months when my DTV contract it up. But I assume when I do that, I will only be able to use one of their DVRS. So for now, I'm not sure what to do. Is there not a DVR I can buy that will work with both? This platform exclusivity is completely ridiculous and totally unfair to the consumer (just like cell phones).

My cable provider would be Time Warner, but I keep hearing bad things about cable and am not sure that's a good move either. I think it's more expensive then the Premiere package I currently have with directv.

Anyway I'm really confused so if anyone has any suggestions on what to do, please let me know.

Thanks.

2. zotts

zotts New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    I just moved to FIOS and hate their DVR so I am going to buy a Series3, want to buy my old Dtivo? What is the going price? I am in NJ.

3. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    You could buy up the contract with DirecTV. It's 12.50 per month. FIOS may even help you there with a special offer. The Tivo S3 will work with FIOS. There is a whole discussion group in this forum on the Series 3. Click on that forum and then enter FIOS in the Search This Thread link on the right-hand side of the page.

4. Dirac

Dirac New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Florida
    It will probably get easier to find used HDTiVos as people transition to DirecTV's HD DVR with the new MPEG4 channel launches. Keep an eye on ebay or ask around here. Also, there is a thread that shows DirecTV is "upgrading" HR10-250s for $99 (no longer $299) and you can keep your owned HR10.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=361301

I have 2 HR10s and, as much as I like TiVo, I'm in the same boat with a lot of subscribers and will have to change receivers to view the new programming. I will be selling one or both of my HR10s myself, probably sooner rather than later. Fortunately, as many complaints about the HR20 that are out there, there is a responsive user and beta test community at dbstalk.com that I wish TiVo had (the open beta part anyway).

5. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002

Advertisements

If you owned the HDTivo then you probably won't have to pay an early cancellation fee. I bailed and went to FIOS with about 9 months left on my commitment with DTV and they didn't charge me anything except for the current balance due on my monthly service. I didn't find out until later that there is no longer a commitment if you own the equipment you're activating.

6. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    For only $99 they will come install a new dish and give you a brand new HR20. Maybe less if you talk real nice. You will have to agree to a new 2 yr commitment.

7. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Buy out your DTV commitment, buy a Tivo HD, and switch to FIOS.

8. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Interesting. I thought there was still a commitment but you had the option to return the equipment. In any case, it's good to know that I shouldn't volunteer anything about paying the balance of my commitment.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If it is the hard drive, it can be replaced.