DirecTiVo Beta Program?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jethro1138, Dec 29, 2008.

1. jethro1138

jethro1138 New Member

Apr 18, 2002
    MN

Advertisements

OK, so the story is that TiVo will be coming back to DirecTV sometime in the nearish future. I've been using a non-TiVo DVR for a year or so now after many, many years of TiVo and every day I miss TiVo more.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is/will be a TiVo beta program at some point? I mean, they gotta test the thing before they ship them, right?... anyone know anything about how DirecTV does these things and whether there's a way to get on them?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Maybe. But it's way too early. Hang out in the "Cutting Edge Form" at http://www.dbstalk.com if you want early info.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The way DirecTV has done hardware betas in the recent past has been via dbstalk.com. You can't apply, but if you are an active participant and update your "setup" in the quarterly thread for that purpose there, you might, at some point in the future, find an invitation from a moderator as a PM. This happened to me twice so far - for the HR21 and AM21. I have no idea what the selection criteria is (other than knowing I got to test the AM21 because I had tested the HR21.)

I am fairly certain that DirecTV will be running the beta and not TiVo, but I really have no way of knowing one way or the other.

I do not expect a beta to start until summer 2009 at the earliest.

4. UncaAndoo

UncaAndoo New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Cedar...
    I wonder if part of it is because you're in NH. Wouldn't they want to test in tougher signal areas? Then again, what's the point of wondering?

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

There's nothing particularly tough, signal-wise, about NH.

6. UncaAndoo

UncaAndoo New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Cedar...
    oh. I thought it'd be second worst in the contiguous, next to Maine. I spent two months in Concord, and no matter how hard I squinted, I couldn't ever see a satellite.