DirecTivo and Cable

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by seattlewendell, Jan 11, 2006.

1. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    I have found answers to many questions by searching this forum but I think this one is unquie. I have DirecTV with Tivo. HR250. I have trouble getting OTA HD in Haller Lake Seattle. Can combine Cable/Comcast with DirecTV? I have triple LNB feeding my Tivo and the OTA. Can order cable, unblug the OTA and plug it in where the OTA is plugged in? Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks
    Wendell

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Nope...

The DirecTiVo units (including the HR10-250) don't contain the necessary components to work with anything other then the DirecTV signal (and the OTA standards)

Comcast uses a propritary package.

You will need to wait for either the non-TiVo HR20 and MPEG-4 locals available in Seattle, or the TiVo Series 3 with CableCard support

3. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Thanks. I think I will have to crunch the numbers and see if I can afford to have both. Possible moving my broadband to cable to save money.

4. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    I live about 1-1/4 mile due west of you in Seattle. I do not have HD, but recently left cable for DirecTV because of the interference I was getting from strong over-the-air signals getting in to Comcasts cable system. A Comcast CSR told me they have had many complaints similar to mine.
    -
    That will not effect you with regard to HD on cable, but could effect the picture quality on the analog channels (lower 99) where there is a local station on the same channel (4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 mostly). HD is digital on channels over 100, but you will need the digital cable box to get it.
    -
    I have been fairly happy with their broadband service for internet access.
    -
    Carl