Directivo 6.2-01-2-381 and Zipper

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by bhudson33, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Jan 8, 2006 #1 of 23
    bhudson33

bhudson33 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Will the Zipper script work against the current "official" Directivo image?

I know the directions say to get a 6.2 image from PTV or somewhere else
    trusted. My Directivo is already at 6.2-01-2-381 via the normal unhacked
    official mechanisms.

Can I just get the Zipper tools disc together execute it against my
    "official" image and get the HMO, usb port, etc hacks turned on?

Has anyone tried it?

Will it keep all my recordings that way? Wishlists? Season Passes? etc?

Thanks in advance.

-Bill.

2. Jan 8, 2006 #2 of 23
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Of course it works.
    People are only encouraged to buy the instantcake image if they:
    1) don't want to bother with backing up/restoring their factory unit to a larger HD, but still want large HD space
    2) had previously been running 4.xx hacked and wanted an easy way to 6.2 without caring about losing their shows.
    3) for one reason or another (like no phone line connected) were still stuck at 3.xx

It is HIGHLY reccomended that you do these hacks on a Hard Drive OTHER than the one that came from the factory simply because IF something goes wrong, you aren't stuck with an unusable tivo while you figure it out.

3. Jan 8, 2006 #3 of 23
    SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    I ran the zipper on 3 of 4 original Tivo drives with no issues but only after I ran it on a OEM drive from my fourth box first just to make sure I knew what I was doing and that everything would work.

4. Jan 8, 2006 #4 of 23
    bhudson33

bhudson33 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Thanks for the info.....

-Bill.

5. Jan 8, 2006 #5 of 23
    bhudson33

bhudson33 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    one more question.....

with regards to caller-id and directv pay-per-view.

I want to keep a phone line connected. Currently, Directv PPV
    connection is fine, because phone line is plugged in.

I currently update Tivo via PPPoE, so my unit doesn't actually use
    the phone line for Tivo updates (ie dial numbers/prefix make it use the
    internal modem).

After doing Zipper, would it change my dial prefix/settings to make it
    use the phone line again? or would it leave them alone? Since the
    settings currently don't use the phone line, it woulddn't matter if
    I had it plugged in then right?

Yes, I understand that fakecall should allow the phone line plugged in,
    but justed wanted to check about the settings. I do plan on using
    fakecall and caller-id hacks.

Thanks again.....

-Bill.

6. Jan 8, 2006 #6 of 23
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    the route commands added to the author file will cause any connection via phone, pppoe, or straight internet to fail. PPV should remain unaffected.

7. Jan 8, 2006 #7 of 23
    bhudson33

bhudson33 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Thanks again!

-Bill.

8. Mar 8, 2006 #8 of 23
    MATT1981M

MATT1981M Cellphone Junkie

Jan 19, 2006
    Just this...
    I am kind of new at this... Where do I get the HMO S/W for the DTivo's.... And as to the post about the phone line and PPPOE connection.... Does that mean you cant use a PPPOE connection or do you just have to set that up all over again.....

9. Mar 8, 2006 #9 of 23
    WillowTheDog

WillowTheDog Golden Retriever

Oct 14, 2003
    LA, CA

You want The Zipper.

Once zippered, there is no need for a phone line or PPPoE.

10. MATT1981M

Jan 19, 2006
    Just this...

I just read thru the how to's on that link you posted and i didnt realize this was that easy!!!... I havent started updating my 2 Dtivos (DSR704 and DVR40) but this should only take me about 35 min per unit if I am guessing correctly.... I was looking thru another tutorial that didn't this much sense.... I have a Dual boot w/ XP and a Red Hat version of linux on my desktop, but to be honest... i have only used it once.... I usually use my laptop and the drive isnt big enough to mess around with that.....

The only thing i want to know now is this.... I am going to replace my drives and keep the old as a backup... I want to keep all of my season passes and recordings so I think I am going to mirror from drive A to drive B (drive A being the oldest and drive B the replacement....).... What commands do you use in linux to do that???? Or... Is there a way to just extract the Season Passes and recordings currently on the drive by copying those specific directories to the new drive after i use a virgin image?????

11. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    Google Hinsdale

12. WillowTheDog

WillowTheDog Golden Retriever

Oct 14, 2003
    LA, CA
    Yes, it is insanely easy. Gunnyman and rbautch have done an amazing job at making HMO/MRV available to the DTivo masses. And you don't need an existing Linux installation or any Linux knowledge. Follow the Zipper instructions to create the Linux boot disk you need. And I would disconnect all of the existing hard drives in your PC when doing the zipper. Just connect the Tivo drive and a CD drive. That way, you won't accidentally alter your PC drives, or accidentally boot into Windows which will ruin any attached Tivo drives.

As ttodd1 suggested, if you want to upgrade your Tivo capacity while keeping recordings intact, you need to follow the "Hinsdale How To". If you search these forums or use google, you should easily find it.

Keep in mind, that running the zipper on a drive does allow you to keep your existing Season Passes and recordings. So if you're feeling lucky and you don't need to upgrade the capacity of your Tivo drive, I would just run the zipper on your existing drive and then maybe buy a backup image for your Tivo from PTVupgrade. Running the zipper is certainly the fastest and easiest way to add network access to your DTivo while maintaining existing recordings. I did this on 2 DTivos with no issues.

13. luder

luder New Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Anyone having luck on JHMO with Dtivo 6.2?

14. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Aren't you the same Matt that back in Oct posted This? You funny man. :p

15. SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    Yes. Try this for help with the install.

16. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    works great.

17. luder

luder New Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I'm currently using DTivo 6.2 with firewall/router/modem setup I'm able to run DesktopTIvo 2.2 (music&pictures ) with windows XP with XP firewall Disabled. Twp is currently set to http://Tivoip:8080..
    So far I have uninstalled every java programs off the computer and installed programs in this order from j2re-1_3_1, jai-1_1_2, then installed j2re-1_4_2_13, and finally Jhmo i'm able to go in to the config file and javahmo 2.4 however, when i try to save the plug-in a pop up apears stating Could not update Jhmo server.

I used CMD java -version and i get this
    PHP:
    Java Version "1.4.2_06"
    build 1.4.2_06-b03
    java hotspot vm  
    (build 1.4.2_06-b03mixed mode)
    GUI

PHP:
    2007-01-22 02:52:06,828 ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0JavaHMO java.io.FileNotFoundException: [url]http://tivoip:8080/TiVoConnect?Command=JavaHMOCommandReconfigure:[/url] Could not reconfigure JavaHMO server at port 8080
    And Log file
    PHP:
    2007-01-22 02:44:57,156  INFO [Thread-20WeatherContainer No alerts
    -01-22 02:49:57,062  INFO [Thread-23WeatherContainer No alerts
    -01-22 02:49:59,750 ERROR [ToGoThreadToGo java.net.ConnectExceptionConnection refusedconnect
    Please Pm me thanks
    -jae

18. MATT1981M

Jan 19, 2006
    Just this...
    yes i was... and now i am up to my 105th tivo hacked..... i was running out of dtivos so i had to throw some sa tivos in there....

suprisingly there are alot of tivo users in iowa.. i guess not much else to do...lol

19. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    I think he meant to say that he got it right after hacking the same Tivo 89 times. ;)

20. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Lol