Direct TV wants the Direct Tivo Returned!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by A4EP, Jul 30, 2007.

1. A4EP

A4EP New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    I attempted to cancel my Direct TV service today and have three boxes, two regular non DVR Direct TV boxes that came for free with the signup and dish. The other box is a Direct TV Tivo DVR that I bought at Best Buy after getting the service set up. When I tried to cancel my service today Direct TV said I need to return all three boxes. When I said I bought the Direct Tivo seperatly for something like $500 and it is not leased they said it still needs to be returned. This can't be correct can it? What should I say to Direct TV on this one, I mean I am not leasing the box!

2. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Doesn't sound right to me. You own it, not them.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    What does it say on your bill? Lease fee or additional receiver fee? If additional receiver fee that means it's owned in their system and you can just point to that.

And assuming you got the DirecTivo before March of 06 then yes, it should be owned.

4. A4EP

A4EP New Member

Jun 3, 2003

No, I got the DirecTivo in June or July of 2006. Does that make a difference?

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, that makes a difference. It is leased, not owned, and must be returned.

6. vigfoot

vigfoot New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    litchfield, CT

is it "leased" only because it was incorrectly noted as such on the account? i thought that's why everyone is making sure the units they buy outside of D are listed as owned, not leased?

7. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Only units they buy from say ebay can have that done. But any tivo bought from a retail establishment make you sign a lease addendum stating you will return it. nIf you buy a used machine from a private person it should be listed as owned :) but if you bought it from a store such as circuit city ect. It is leased and must be returned. :(

8. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    If you're cancelling service, the box is virtually useless to you anyway. You can give it away, maybe sell it for $50 (or whatever) or strip it and use the drive in your PC, so it's no great loss to you.

You may find that D* will accept the returned box in place of a cancellation fee. I'm afraid it's a game of CSR roulette until you find one that will help. It's a common game that a lot of people win around here.

9. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Even if you purchase it from eBay... it will be still classified as leased..
    Unless you prove, and convince them that it was owned by the previous "holder" of the unit... or if you paid the full purchase price for it.

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    No, it's because he got it after the leasing program started back in March 2006. After that date any receiver you activate is leased. Period. No matter where you get it.

Unless you can browbeat a CSR otherwise or as Earl posted you can prove that if you bought it off eBay it was owned by the seller or you paid full purchase price (example: HR20 is typically free to $299 leased, $750+ full price).

11. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    As the Op purchased the Unit from a Retail Store No Doubt you also agreed to the Terms and Conditions with that unit which means you MUST return the unit upon cancelling Service.

Always read the fineprint of any Unit you purchase.

Yes you can purchase not only Directv/Tivo units but also Directv units that you own. When you add them to your account make sure they are listed as "Owned" and not "leased".

12. rabbit73

rabbit73 New Member

Oct 12, 2006
    My tivo took a powder somewhere around xmas and I bought a new (identical) unit from ebay. I swapped out the power supplies and got my old unit working again so I wouldn't lose my recordings. Before I did that, I wanted to make sure the ebay box worked and activated it. Is there a way to see the status of the other tivo - leased vs owned? I looked online under "my system" but it only shows the active receiver. Once I got it working I made the other one dormant or inactive or whatever. I want to make sure it says I own it.

13. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The only way you can tell... via your online account...

Is the line items for the mirroring fees...

"Additional Receiver Fee" denotes it is an owned system
    "Leased Receiver Fee" denotes it is a leased system

14. rabbit73

rabbit73 New Member

Oct 12, 2006
    It just says "not mirrored". Guess I gotta dig it out of the box, get the IRD#, and call. Thanks though.

15. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Great advice from ebonovic!

See the difference?

How many have had a unit on their account listed as Additional, then surrendered it to Directv when they have upgraded?

I bet alot.

16. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    When you add a used unit to your account, they will default it to "leased" even though it isn't.

You'll have to call and try to get it to be "owned". The caveat here is that you MUST BUY A NEW ACCESS CARD. (Again, this is my experience, and I've done this about 6 times between my own account and my parents account).
    that'll cost you $20.

THEN you can call in and say "I have a new access card, make my unit "owned"".

Whenever I make a unit "owned", I still look at the next bill and sometimes call them to confirm its marked at "owned". Because even when the CSR says its correct, sometimes it isn't.

So using my experience as a guide, you may have to pay $20 first, to get it to be owned ~~then cancel.

Sounds backwards I know.

So do you want to keep it or is it worth $20.

Again, this is MY EXPERIENCE. I find there are exceptions (via this website), but after 6 times of dealing with "I own it", I find this is the way that it will actually make my units "owned" instead of leased.

I only have 1 leased unit, and that's when they were basically giving away HR10-250's as they moved to their own version.

17. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    You do not need to purchase a New Card. You can always transfer a Card you already have on your Account from One unit to another.

And the $20.00 Card thing. I purchased a Card here lately. Showed on my Bill as $20.00 then right undernealth a $20.00 Credit. So my New Card costed nothing :D

18. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes, I know you ~can transfer the card from one to another.

What I am saying is that if you do this (transfer), they will list the unit as Leased, even if you say "I own it".

So go ahead and try the transfer method (OP that is), and then check to see what it is on your account.

Then when they say its leased, call in and say "What do I need to make it owned?"

I'm 99.9% sure they'll say "First, you'll have to get a new access card".

At least that's been my experience for 6 times in a row over the last 2.5 years.

19. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    I have transferred 6 Cards into units I owned in the last 4 Months, and YES they are still listed as Owned. So this Transfer BS is just that.

Also, I transferred 2 of the Cards from "Leased" to "owned" units not a problem. And they still show up as Owned not leased.

20. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    :p nIf :p you buy a used machine from a private person it won't necessarily be listed as owned. :)