Direct TV rasing package prices

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by andrew64, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1 of 28
    andrew64

andrew64 New Member

Sep 11, 2003

Advertisements

I just got an e mail stating there are price changes to all DTV prices. 3 dollars more a month i believe. Anyone else get that e mail.

2. Feb 2, 2008 #2 of 28
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, I got it. The price hike was discussed here a couple of weeks ago. The bigger cable systems and DISH already announced rises, so DirecTV figured they could too.

3. Feb 2, 2008 #3 of 28
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    More importantly, DirecTV needs to take a math class. :)

Individual DNS LA/NY service is going up to $2.99 (from $2.25). For all four nets the new price is $11.99, shouldn't that be $11.96 (4 x $2.99)?

4. Feb 2, 2008 #4 of 28
    IminMs

IminMs New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    It's just an annual rate increase, just like every other company does each year. It covers their costs of raises for their employees, gas, utilities etc.
    It is significantly lower than the cable companies increases of their rapes.(not a typo)

5. Feb 2, 2008 #5 of 28
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

Not to mention the cost of launching a couple new satellites. :D

6. Feb 2, 2008 #6 of 28
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I missed that part. I wish I could get in on the all 4 "deal" though since right now I only have access to two of them.

7. Feb 2, 2008 #7 of 28
    codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    I get NY Fox (88), and still pay nothing.

8. Feb 2, 2008 #8 of 28
    CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    Those sats were for HD. It would be more fair to pass that cost along in the form of higher HD access fees, than to require standard definition subscribers to subsidize equipment for HD subscribers.

9. Feb 2, 2008 #9 of 28
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The DNS increase is for the SD networks. I also get all four HD networks which are listed as $0.00 on my account. However, I'm going to wait until the dust settles to see if I would still get the HD version for 0 if I drop the SD ones.
    The rules have changed a few times in the last couple of years with respect to DNS, that I don't want to mess up the HD DNS by dropping the SD.

True, but it is one DirecTV.

10. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Abso-'freakin'-lutely. Not gonna happen though. The only way they can justify the cost is to spread it among all subscribers. If they only added the additional fees to HD subscribers, they would probably have to charge $20/mo. instead of $10.

They also figure that we are all going to be HD customers eventually. I'll buy in only when I absolutely have to. I just don't get spending all that extra money for just a better picture. I want more content to choose from, not the same content with a better picture. I just don't get spending $1500 or more for a new television just so the image looks better.

11. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    Wow. I never thought I'd find someone who would agree with me on that. I'm not replacing a perfectly good SDTV. It may be 15 years old, but it works great. When it gives it up, and has to be replaced, then I'll look into an HD set.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get locked in on the current rate? I'd be willing to renew my service committment if it DTV would lock me in at the current rate, and maybe throw me a discount or two. Anyone try to do such a thing?

12. sven_kirk

sven_kirk New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Atlanta Ga
    I really doubt I'll ever go to HD anytime soon. Only when they removing programming to SD is when I'll covert over. Or when HD tvs are rival SD in cost and size, excluding fire sales. Which will be a long time. 5-8years by my guess.

13. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    At some point.... you have to decide when the increase has gone beyond your threshold to pay for the service.

For a variety of reasons... I left Directv for OTA HD.

1) Price
    2) Customer Service
    3) Tivo Support

I found that paying $80 for Directv each month was too much for the content I was receiving. I thought that it was great getting all the channels but eventually determined that I only watched 5 channels beyond the locals.

14. BradL1279

BradL1279 New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    gahhh again, they are getting as bad as cable, i can't wait till IPTV comes out, or whenever they loose the contract for nfl ticket, i will probly be gone.

15. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    I just got it too. Here is the link to their PDF:

DIRECTV RATE HIKE

16. bgreen5

bgreen5 Contrast Rebel TCF Club

Feb 4, 2000
    Yeah, 3 straight years in a row of price increases is pretty outrageous for my threshold.

I just got the e-mail today. :mad:

I'll be paying $10/month MORE than I was 3 years ago, and it was barely worth it to me back then.

The thing I liked about switching to DTV some 7 years ago was the TiVo integration. I don't watch a tremendous amount of TV though.

Seriously, now I'm going to have to give some thought to the possibility of doing OTA or basic cable and getting a stand-alone TiVo.

Has anyone gotten any giveback by talking to DirecTV customer retention? Or is that futile?

17. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Sure, because the price of cable never goes up!

Why doesn't Directv stay the same price year after year -- just like everything else.:rolleyes:

If you are going to go to OTA, that makes sense, because that is free. But you'll be hard pressed to find cable, I suspect, that offers a comparable package at a lower price. And, obviously, the monthly cost of an SA TiVo is going to provide you with less quality for more money.

18. phecksel

phecksel Member

Oct 10, 2003
    I dropped it last fall. Couldn't get anywhere with retention. Few months after, they started sending me $30/$40 come back to us deals. Love the OTA! S3 with three year per paid, came out to $7.95 per month. With unbox, can download all the shows that I previously watched on DTV that I can't get OTA.

19. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    When I had cable, they raised the rates twice in one year, more than 20%. After three years of this I had had it and switched to satellite, and it proved more reliable with better choices and lower cost than cable. I would not switch back.

20. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    DTV has now raised prices three times in barely over a year. Last year there was an overall price increase, just in December there was the HD price hike, and now another overall price hike.

I already switched back. Lower overall cost (TV + Internet), better picture quality, and TiVo availability have made it well worth it.