1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct tv r10 tivo model...UPGRADE

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by lorganike, Nov 12, 2007.

1. lorganike

lorganike New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I am ordering a upgrade from weaknees.com for my direct tv tivo...my tivo is constantly freezing and needs to be rebooted...Question: is it possible when the new drive arrives to copy the image using ghost and place it on another duplicate hard drive incase my tivo crashes again?:up:

2. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    You can copy the image, but not with Norton ghost. Google for 'winmfs' for software that will work with Unix.

3. lorganike

lorganike New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    what if i copy one drive to another using True Image???

4. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Buena Park, CA
    Won't work, True Image does not understand the Tivo Partitions which use a file system developed by TiVo for DVR's.

The so called image backups are not really bit for bit copies of a drive but are bit for bit copies of partitions, to make a copy of a partition you have to understand it's file system. Since MFS is TiVo specific mainstream image copiers do not know how to handle them.

True bit by bit disk copy programs really only work when you have two identical hard drives because different drives even the same capacity usually have different drive geometries making a true bit by bit image impossible.

For Tivo you need mfstools or Winmfs

5. lorganike

lorganike New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Ok, I will try Winmfs...however, could i backup my current tivo Harddrive and restore it to another Hard drive? or the issues I am having are more related to the software on my Tivo?

6. lorganike

lorganike New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    what if i used Instantcake to rebuild my harddrive or buy another harddrive and run instantcake, instead of buying a new kit from weakness.com???

7. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Buena Park, CA
    InstantCake will copy a tivo image specific to your model to your new drive. It will not allow you to copy your recordings from your old drive to your new drive.

mfstools and winfs are what you need if you want to copy from your old drive to a new drive and retain your alreday recorded shows. The downside is that these tools will keep you at the same software version.

If your goal is to go back to version 6.3a to fix the freezes and reboots caused by version 6.3e you should use InstantCake. mfstols and winmfs can also restore from another software image but you have to already have one or know where to get one.

As you may have already guessed there is no way to change the software version and keep your already recorded shows.

8. lorganike

lorganike New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I guess my main concern is to fix the freezes and reboots, i could always rerecord whats on the Tivo now...
    most likely when the hard drive finally dies, i could buy a new drive and use the InstantCake cd again and revive my Tivo...
    cheaper way then buying a whole new kit from weakness.com...
    thanks for your help...

9. BigO2018

BigO2018 New Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Hi: Do you still have a Cd with Instantcake for R10 Satellite Receiver on it. I have been trying to find someone with the Instantcake Software on it that would copy me one from it. I Cant find anywhere to purchase one from!Thanks