Direct TV DVR Won't boot. Are shows recoverable?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by doyling, Aug 28, 2007.

1. doyling

doyling Member

Aug 11, 2006
    I have a neighbor who bought a Direct TV DVR on Ebay with some type of hacked software and a 500 gig hard drive. She travels quite a bit and records several weeks worth of shows at a time. The concern is that her drive or software may be on the way out. At times it pixelates, and now it simply won't boot. Its stuck on the "powering up" screen. The issues as I figure them are:

If software is corrupt, is there a version of InstantCake that can reload a new drive? I believe there is.

Is there a way to get the shows off if the original software is kaput? I am hoping that perhaps Instant Cake can bake a new drive and MFtools can move the shows from the old drive to the new one. Is this possible?

Does Direct TV recognize the green screen of death repair system?

I am not sure what model number her unit is, perhaps R10.

Thank You
    Patrick
    Go Bears!

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    The short answer is no. Any upgrade/replacement is going to involve a clean drive or at least a clear and delete all, so the programs are lost.

For more detailed info on how to handle the process, head over to the TiVo Underground forum.

3. doyling

doyling Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Thanks Tony I was afraid you would say that. Hopefully the GSoD worked for her. Is it the same for a Phillips Direct TV as a regular Tivo? I imagine it is.

4. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    'fraid so.

5. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    Long answer: Maybe. But it's certainly more work. Clone the drive, sector by sector, to a new drive. Put the cloned drive in and see if it boots. It might still green screen if the database was damaged from bad sectors. Just leave it running -- if the drive has an activity light, see if it's doing anything. Depending on the situation, it may be running an mfsfix under the GSOD. If not, there's a kickstart code to force it... search the forums (or google) for details; I know it's been posted a few times. (except for the S3 eSATA trick, those codes work on all tivos)

6. Sep 2, 2007 #6 of 13
    skittish

skittish New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    The symptom of not booting could be related to localized hard drive damage, or it could indicate that vast amounts of the hard drive are hosed. If you can pull the drive and put it in a PC running linux, then there are ways to rescue and re-insert the previously recorded shows back into the fixed tivo (assuming you are able to replace the drive and get a working tivo OS installed on it). It depends on how much damage has been done to the MFS database to determine if any recorded shows are viable.

7. Sep 2, 2007 #7 of 13
    Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Unless they were irreplaceable family photos, hardly worth the effort. It's just TV programs.

8. Sep 3, 2007 #8 of 13
    john-duncan-yoyo

john-duncan-yoyo New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    NoVa near DC
    There have been reports of SpinRite working to repair such problems. If you have a copy or don't minding spending $89 to try it I would give it a shot.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

9. Sep 8, 2007 #9 of 13
    doyling

doyling Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Thank you for the help. So far the drive is cloning to another 500 gig drive. Its been running for 4 days and is up to 460000 of 475000 megabytes. I installed a new hard drive in the TiVo with an InstantCake image and it did boot fine so its not a hardware issue. I have been reading about corrupt Direct TV push to TiVo units. So, her original OS may be scrambled, but the shows may still be fine.

I installed Ubuntu on a spare computer running SATA and then attached a spare TiVo hard drive on the IDE Slave. The drive shows in device manager. I am not familiar enough with Linux to determine what I am seeing. Go and laugh, did the second drive merge into the directory structure with the SATA drive? I am digging around and can not find the drive on its own, so I can not see what inside of it. I would appreciate any help. I am really giving this a go but not sure where to go from here.

Thank You

Patrick
    Go Bears

10. doyling

doyling Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Ouch. After 4 days of running, I got an error stating Restore failed Internal Error 3.tes at 97.76%.

Any suggestions?

11. doyling

doyling Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Hey got it to work. I plugged the new drive in, even though it failed, and it booted up properly. I am wondering if there is a way to connect DirecTV units with a USB NIC like regular TiVo units. I plugged mine in and it did not recognize. I have some stuff I want to move over with Tivo.net but I am not sure if a USB NIC is supported.

12. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Wired and wireless USB to Ethernet adapters are not supported by DirecTV's installed software - you'll need to pull the Tivo hard drive, install it in a PC and hack it. See Zipper support for more info

13. doyling

doyling Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Thank You Forrest for your help. I am just going to leave well enough alone at this point, its frustrating that DirecTV does not feel customers deserve all the features.