Direct TV DVR w/o Direct TV?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by capnspiff46, Oct 2, 2007.

1. capnspiff46

capnspiff46 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    My fiance and I recently obtained her father's old dvr w/ tivo (Hughes HR10-250).

And were wondering if it will hook up to regular cable for the tivo feature.

Any help would be great as I dont want to pay him for what wont be useful :)

2. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    You may play anything that is already recorded, but No DirecTV box of any kind will work without DirecTV service to record anything new

A DirecTV box does not contain a regular tuner... so it will only receive a DirecTV signal

3. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Great answer by John.

You can watch any recorded show already on the unit, but apart from that, you can do nothing more.

4. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    You need to ask the question at the DirecTV HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs sub-forum ( http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=36 ).

The HR10-250 contains an OTA tuner for HDTV. This will not work with most cable systems, but will work with an antenna. I don't think it will do anything w/o a DirecTV subscription - but the guys at the other sub-forum would know for sure.

5. capnspiff46

capnspiff46 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    That is pretty much the reply I was expecting.

Thank you very much.

-Capn