1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct TV and "Regular" Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Dennis112, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Dennis112

Dennis112 New Member

Feb 9, 2002
    If I wish to use Tivo with direct TV with Tivo am I limited to the Tivo unit that Direct Tv provides

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes.

3. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Further, it is based on the Series 3 platform. Yes, it is the very same S3 UI and the guts, pretty much, as well. It has only two tuners. Virtually all the retail TiVo features are NOT on the DirecTV TiVo HD DVR THR22: no networking between TiVo's (no transferring, etc.), no streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, YouTube, etc. Again, just about all the retail TiVo features are NOT on this box. However, you can access DirecTV VOD using their TiVo product.

Frankly the DirecTV TiVo HD DVR THR22 is really for die-hard TiVo fans. It is based on 10 year old TiVo tech and UI and really offers NOTHING compared to the Genie except the S3 TiVo UI, and for some, that is the entire reason for getting it. Check out some videos on YouTube to see for yourself, if you are still considering getting the THR22. Now, if it were based on at least Series 4, and allowed networking, that could be a little something worth it.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It is actually based on the DirecTV HR22 with Series 2 TiVo software. The hardware supports streaming and sharing with DirecTV software.

The THR22 is fine as an HR10 replacement, nothing more.

5. Dennis112

Dennis112 New Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Thank you to everyone who responded. It was my understanding that companies were required by law to provide a cable card that could be plugged into other devices such as TIVO. Did I get this wrong?

6. bigpuma

bigpuma Active Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    That only applies to cable, Satellite does not have to comply so neither Dish nor DirecTV have TiVo except for the THR 22.

7. Dennis112

Dennis112 New Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Interesting. I just switched from Verizon (which became Frontier and turned into a disaster-- no service for 2 months) to DTV. Guess I will just deal with their Genie box. It's not terrible, but the TIVO user interface was much more intuitive.