1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Video Archive Solution

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by MLAKE1, Jan 12, 2018.

1. MLAKE1

MLAKE1 Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Norwalk, CT
    Hi,

I've been searching around the forum, and I've seen bits and pieces on answers to this question, but I wanted to get a sense of what others are doing and have had good luck with.

Like many, I have a large quantity of .TiVo archived files as well as shows that I pulled down and burnt to DVD over the last several years. I feel as though I should convert these to a uniform digital format, so I can easily watch them through the TiVo and also reduce the space taken up by the DVDs.

Any others who have done this with recommendations, hardware and software? It doesn't have to be a freeware solution - whatever is the best. Wouldn't mind being able to clip things tighter or potentially edit some of the video, but not a dealbreaker.

I'm running a Windows 10 laptop. I have a Bolt+ along with a Roamio HD that I'm still using in another room - both are networked via MoCA. The .TiVo files are stored on a 4TB Seagate PersonalCloud drive (almost full) that I have connected through my network - the drive is connected via Ethernet to the router.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts on where I should go from here ... thanks very much!

Mike

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    They're already "a uniform digital format", in that they're .mpg or .mp4 files. You probably should have gone ahead and decoded them as you transferred them. KMTTG can still finish that work for you.

Afterwards, I just store them on a NAS.

Although I used to fuss with transferring them back to the TiVo to watch, now I just use my Kodi device to play them.

-KP

3. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Similar to me, but with Plex. I've used pytivo and KMTTG and the Tivo To Go channel on Plex to encode files to my NAS which I then access via Plex.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    With DVDs, you are limited to watching from just that TV with the DVD player, but it will only work when the video is in .MPEG/MPEG4 format. .TiVo files are in MPEG2, just encrypted from the Tivo.

KMTTG will only download the shows and other options and if you want to send back to the Tivo, you need to have PyTivo or PyTivo Desktop. Tivo Desktop also works but now is unsupported by Tivo.

Using a NAS drive, allows for more flexibility. I have a NAS on my network and the flexibility is that I can choose to watch my shows on a tablet, phone, or transfer to Tivo. I rarely need to use my DVD Player anymore as even Netflix DVDs I convert to .mpg files.

5. MLAKE1

MLAKE1 Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Norwalk, CT
    Thanks all. Which software do you recommend for me to convert my exisitng .TiVo files as well as the files I myself burned to DVD-R (that are directly playable via DVD player) into either MPEG4 or MPEG2 files for Plex to see, directly from the NAS? I have Plex app I can go through on either the TiVo or Apple TV.

Unfamiliar with Kodi - just took a look at their site. Is it an app you download and run through an Apple TV or Roku? I see several different "Kodi" type apps in the App Store. Any big advantages/disadvantages between the two?

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    All you would need is included in KMTTG and its java based so it will run on almost any type of PC/mac.

7. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    I run Kodi on a Raspberry PI, but the hardware choices border on endless. Apparently running it on Firestick's is a thing. I used to jailbreak Apple TV's to run Kodi.

-KP

8. MLAKE1

MLAKE1 Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Norwalk, CT
    I seem to run into a lot of issues with KMTTG that have been difficult to diagnose and fix. Either not opening or freezing up once in, etc. Have yet to get it to run the full way through to even experiment with. Any other software options that measure up?

9. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    If it were me, I'd completely uninstall Java, reboot and then reinstall Java.

I've never considered anything other than KMTTG as it handles everything TiVo.

Nothing wrong with KMTTG, so must be something on your PC.

-KP

10. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston

VideoRedo. Its not free but it does work very well and will do most of the conversions you are looking for including reading native .tivo files.

I archive all SD and HD video files from all sources to mp4 files containing h.264 video and either 2 channel AAC or 5.1 channel AC3 sound track. All have metadata embeded with artwork when available.

Storage is a Synology NAS.

I run a plex server that fully indexes the content and the tivo and other devices both in and out of the home access and direct play so no transcoding is required when playing.

11. reneg

reneg Active Member

Jun 19, 2002
    For me, kmttg & videoredo are the go to utilities. I mirror video archives between multiple computers and run plex and pytivo on one of them.

kpeters59 likes this.
  12. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nothing is as reliable or as well supported as kmttg. Add VideoReDo and it's as good as it gets.

kpeters59 likes this.
  13. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm curious, what tool do you use to encode? What settings? You use plex server in direct play. Do you encode twice, once for in home and one for remote? Do you use a setting which works well for both? When I think I'll be viewing a show with limited bandwidth, hotel wifi for example, I'll encode to a smaller file size then I'd do if I plan to view on my home network. I'm not sure if I'd be better off letting plex do the downrez on the fly.

14. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    If I'm traveling, and I want to watch something that's on my media server, I'll often just "Optimize" it within Plex. That creates a new version with different settings, like lower resolution and bitrate or whatever. When you play it remotely, you can select which version to play. I do this because the NAS that I run Plex on isn't always up to the task of transcoding on the fly.

kpeters59 likes this.
  15. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston

I do not store multiple versions of videos. I do however keep 2 plex servers. One on my local network that feeds all the Tivos and a Plex Cloud server that is SOMETIMES more useful remotely. Sometimes as Plex Cloud has been less than stable the last year since its inception.

I use meGUI to encode unless its an mpeg video I scraped from a Tivo and edited in Videoredo, then I just let Videoredo encode after the editing.

All my archive video files are mp4 container, IMSA standard streamable with an h.264 level 4.1 or lower video track and either an AC3 5.1 or and AAC 2.0 audio track.

16. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Do you use an included VRD profile or have you tweaked settings? Many posters suggest we experiment with encoding settings. I'd like to start with the settings you're using. If you don't mind, please post the parameters you're using. Thanks.

17. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    In VRD, I use the standard H.264 MP4 file output.

In meGUI, I use x.264 Constant Quality at level 20 and AVC level 4.1, preset slow.