Digital UPN and WB in Washington, DC?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by okapi, Jan 21, 2006.

1. okapi

okapi New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    I've got an HD DirecTiVO with an OTA from DirecTV. I'm able to receive lots of Digital channels like the local NBC, Fox, CBS, PBS, etc fine EXCEPT the local UPN 20.1 and WB 50.1 stations. Is there something odd about these stations? Am I too far (both WB and UPN are less than 15 miles away and distance of UPN is the same as several other stations from my house)? Or is there a problem with my TiVo? I'd welcome any suggestions or other's experiences.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    there's probably a DC thread over at avsforums to give you more of a firm answer, but i'm guessing that the stations have low power/antenna height. If they are the same direction as the others, that's it likely. I have the same problem with 2 networks from philly. 15 miles is great distance but with buildings etc in the way, even 4 miles could be problematic.

Were the signals of the 2 bad channels coming in at all?

3. bullwinklehdtv

bullwinklehdtv New Member

Dec 3, 2005
    UPN is at very low power, I don't think anyone outside of DC can get it. I would think you'd be able to get WB, but I'm pretty sure their tower is at a different location than the other DC stations, so you may have to play with your antenna

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    UPN is only around 1200watts right now. Yes 1200 watts! Nothing on it to watch anyway except baseball.

5. Rich1

Rich1 New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Kensington, MD
    I'm only 5 miles from the UPN tower and cannot get a signal. Very low power like others have said. You'll need to rotate your antenna to get the WB. The major networks in the DC area are at around 192 degrees but the WB is at 159.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    What OTA antenna are you using? One with more gain may help.

Also,
    That is your opinion. There may be many shows on UPN that others enjoy. Like Veronica Mars.

7. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I cannot get 20.1 out here in the sticks, but I get 50.1 without any problems. What frequency is 20.1? I don't think antennaweb even listed them, but they also did not list Fox5.

[edit to add: If UPN is frequency 21 then my signal is unable to lock in, gets anything from 0 to 46 but never hangs on. 50.1 appears to be frequency 51 and is my lowest strength at 66-68 but is stable. Highest is CBS9/frequency 34 at 95.]

8. Rich1

Rich1 New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Kensington, MD
    I have a Wineguard VHF/UHF rooftop antenna. I think it is the PR-7015 and I have a rotor as well. I get all of the DC stations except UPN and can easily get the Baltimore stations as well once I rotate it and they are about 35 miles away. Annapolis is also no problem.

9. xtopher_66

xtopher_66 Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Arlington...
  10. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
  11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I gave up on UPN. I got sick of really enjoying a show and having it get cancelled. It's happened 4 times now with UPN. SInce they broadcast at such a low power in the DC area that I can't receive the HD sihgnal it made my decision not to watch UPN simple. 95% of what I watch is HD and I refuse to watch any new shows in SD.
    I also don't watch baseball. Although that is what most people in the DC area watch on the DC UPN station.

12. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    With today's announcement of the merger of WB and UPN this all becomes somewhat moot. Have to wait and see which ch # survives.

13. okapi

okapi New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    I've been communicating with someone at WB50 and apparently the current UPN 20 channel will be the one that will be carrying the new channel they said. Also, they mentioned that the power level of the current WB digital station has to match the power level of their analog station due to regulations. They can't increase the power of their analog station due to a a channel 51 in pennsylvania. So after that analog stations go away in 2008, they were going to request an increase in their digital power but that's a long way away and who knows if they'll even be around.

14. csweeny

csweeny TIVO Junkie

Jun 9, 2004
    Northern...
    The news in DC is reporting that WB (50.1) will be the merged CW, which means all the current shows will be on 50.1 and UPN (20.1) will have to find all new programming. This is good news for me since I can get 50.1 just fine but not 20.1.

15. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    My read of the news matches csweeny's and is definitely my preferred since i can get 50.1 out here.

I kind of doubt 50 has a low power issue if I can get it from Fauquier County; that okapi can't get it from Vienna (30+ miles closer to the towers) is surprising. Since he is closer the angles to hit each of the towers vary more than mine but picking an address in Vienna gave me that 7.1 and 9.1 are at the same direction as UPN and WB, while WB is about 3 miles further away.

16. moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
    ----
    Jim...While the merger will affect C-band subscribers, it will not affect DirecTV or DISH rosters since neither UPN nor the WB are included in national programming listings. Local stations set to carry CW include WPIX in New York, KTLA in Los Angeles and WGN in Chicago.