Digital phone

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by joanneca, Jul 25, 2007.

1. joanneca

joanneca New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    I have digital phone service. My TIVO worked fine for a year but now I have difficulty maintaining a connection to download program info. Switching to another phone service requires a new number. I'd like to avoid that. Any suggestions as to how to work around this problem?

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Is your digital phone service provided by a VOIP provider such as Vonage, e.g., do you have a broadband Internet connection in your home?

Is your TiVo a Series 2 or 3 as opposed to a Series 1?

I recommend using your TiVo with a broadband Internet connection instead of through dialup. There are a lot of TiVo features that are only available when it's connected to a broadband Internet connection.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You could start by giving us a little more info like what phone service and what model Tivo. If it is a Series 2 or 3 TiVo I would get it connected to your network and not worry about using dial in.

Good Luck,

4. StuffOfInterest

StuffOfInterest New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    McLean,...
    I ran my series 1 through Vonage for a couple of years. There are two codes you will have to enter into the "dialing prefix" screens on a series 1. One code tells Vonage to note compress the signal the way it does voice calls. This is usually done for FAX calls which are just another form of data call. The second code tell the TiVo to slow down.

Sorry, I don't have the codes in front of me here. Do a Google search on "tivo vonage dialing codes" and you'll find what you need. As has been said before, if you have the option of going broadband then you are better off with that, but I'm guess you would have if you could have. Good luck.

5. Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    From my experiences, Vonage and TiVo don't mix well at all. I had both parties on the phone at one point and no one knew how to make it work. I eventually broke down and located a WiFi dongle on eBay and that was that. Now that TiVo wifi's are in every store, you don't need to go on the wild goose chase I did, comparing printouts from tivo.com to the box I had in my hand in Best Buy.

Even if you don't have wifi, a cheap $30 linksys router would still make sense than spending countless hours trying to make Vonage work. I do know though that TiVo on the VoIP I have (and work for) does work but we don't service Virginia. :(

6. JMAN71

JMAN71 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    what do you suggest for us poor saps with a paid lifetime subscription on a series 1 (i.e. no networking possible)?

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Buy a Series 1 network card.
    http://www.9thtee.com/tivoupgrades.htm

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Cheap way, serial PPP through your PC.
    Not so cheap; Turbonet card.
    All out- Upgrade to TiVoHD and transfer Lifetime over.

9. Lensman

Lensman Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Hoboken, NJ...
    Wasn't there an offer for a paid transfer to a free Series 2 a little while ago?

I looked it up and it was an offer of $299 for a Series 2 and transfer of service lifetime.