Digital Only

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cannonz, Oct 26, 2011.

1. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I saw on Tivo's site the new 4 tuner only handles digital will it work with mixed analog digital cable service or just 100% digital ones. Or are the analog ones converted to digital by cable card even though not true digital channels?

2. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    Depends on the cable company. It will not do any analog, So mixed Digital/analog will not work..

However most cable companies do the analog channels in digital form for those with Cable box and cable cards...

3. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That's what I was wondering if the analogs were converted by the card to digital. My company is Brighthouse in Orlando area.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    They aren't converted by the card. What happens is, on some (most?) systems, there are both analog and digital versions of the channels are already present. The card maps the digitals to their appropriate numbers, overriding the analogs, where applicable. (The numbers for digital channels are all virtual. The numbers for analog channels actually represent their frequencies.)