Digital Conversion Box/IR Control Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BStu, Jun 10, 2010.

1. BStu

BStu New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Pennsylvania

Advertisements

Hey all-

I know I am not going to explain my problem well...but I'll try.

I've had two TiVos for years now. Both connected to the same television with a split cable. The second TiVo was not connected to the cable box, so I could only receive basic channels. No worries.

Of course, I lost over half of the channels, so I got the converter box required.

Hooking it up was as easy as pie, and I have all of the channels I did before. I just have to use an IR changer.

Here is my issue...

When using the remote included with the converter, I can access all of the channels (above 100) that I have on the TiVo with the cable box. However, when using the TiVo remote and the IR, I cannot get it to access the channels above 100. Everything else is fine.

I have tried all of the channel changing methods, but something is preventing the TiVo from changing the channels above 100.

Am I doing something wrong?

Any troubleshooting tips?

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Sounds like you need to re-run guided setup to let the TiVo know you are using a cable box.

3. BStu

BStu New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I did re-do the guided set up as soon as I hooked it all up.

However, I did choose "Motorola" for the cable box instead of the "Comcast DTA" that is listed on the TiVo web page.

Didn't even think to look for that.

I'll try it when I get home.

Thanks for the response!

4. BStu

BStu New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    As it turns out...

I called Comcast, got a really nice guy who understood the issue immediately.

Apparently, the DTA box can only "handle" the channels currently offered in the basic package. The rest of the channels will eventually "disappear" and are currently there "in error."

Somehow, I think that is a load of BS, but hey, it's not like I actually lost anything, channel-wise.