digital channels going blank

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rem, Aug 20, 2007.

1. rem

rem Member

Jan 27, 2005
    southern ca
    hi,

my s3 is set up with two cable cards from charter communications in the los angeles area. up to 3 times a month, i am losing the channels that are 100 and up. when this happens, i only get a picture on channels 99 and below. and the only way to resolve it is to reboot. after a reboot, a onscreen message initiated by the cable cards appear. after dismissing it, all channels show up again.

needless to say, i've had recordings scheduled that did not record because of this.

does anyone know if this is a cable card problem? or is it a problem on charter communications' end?

thanks.

2. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    When this happens, you should check the cablecards doiagnostics screen. It sounds like you are losing the authorization on the card. The CP Status screen should indicate if the auth has failed.

BTW, do you have SA cablecards?

3. rem

rem Member

Jan 27, 2005
    southern ca
    not sure what brand of cards they are. the next time the digital channels go blank, i'll check on it along with the diagnostic screen.

4. bprice25

bprice25 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I had the same issue with my unit yesterday afternoon. Like you, the only thing I could do to fix the issue was to reboot the entire unit and go through the setup process AGAIN. I do have SA cablecards. I'm not sure what Tivo's issue is with these cards, but I wish they would figure it out fast.

5. rem

rem Member

Jan 27, 2005
    southern ca
    i never needed to re-do the setup. just rebooting makes it work again.
    the cable card screen pops up with a message about calling a number to set up the card, but i simply dismissed it and checked for the channels i am suppose to be getting and they are there.

6. URPREY

URPREY Closet TiVo User

Sep 12, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I have this same issue with my S3 with Motorola cablecards on Insight. I have to eject the cards and reinsert them. No reboot necessary. It's uber annoying though - I don't have this issue with my Tivo HD.

7. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    I have occasionally had nothing but a black screen on a single channel but have never lost most or all of them. Also, when the black screen has happened it’s been on analog, basic cable channels, which don’t require a CableCARD to view, more often than it has shown up on the premium channels. Fortunately, it hasn’t happened to me very often. I have an S3.

8. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    This would work to solve the problem for me as well, but seeing as how the cards are in the back of the S3 it was usually easier to reboot.