Digital Cable Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dinski, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Dinski

Dinski New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Okay, complete doofus when it comes to technology.....

I am staying at a friends house while I look for a place of my own, in the meantime the room I am staying in has a cable outlet, but no cable box. All the other cable boxes at the house are digital.

Here are my questions:

1 - is the cable signal coming straight from the wall "digital" or regular

2 - if the signal is "digital", will a Series 2 single tuner work

3 - if the signal is "regular" will a Series 2 dual tuner record 2 channels at the same time

Many thanks for setting this luddite on the right path :up:

2. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    Your Seires 2 should be able to connect to the cable outlet and receive the analog channels sent by the cable company. Generally they will be channels 1 - 99. You can not receive any digital channels without a digital cable box or a TiVo model S3 or HD equipped with cable cards.

3. Dinski

Dinski New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Thank you Jack....that is what I expected (both that it would work and that I would only get channels up to 99).

So I am expecting that means a Series 2 dual WOULD in fact record two channels (assuming 2-99 direct from the wall)?

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yes, as long as one of the two channels is from 2 through 99.

5. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    ... as long as AT LEAST one of the two channels is from 2 through 99. The DT can receive/record two channels from 2 through 99 at the same time, or one from 2 through 99 and one using a cable box.

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    just so it's clear jfh3 is wrong and WayneCarter is correct.

7. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Actually jfh3 is right, considering the OP statement that he doesn't have a cable box.

8. Dinski

Dinski New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Yes, there is no cable box.....just coax which will go straight from the wall into the TiVo S2.

9. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    OK, I'd say he's correct, but only in an incomplete way that would confuse most people who would have to ask the question in the first place.

10. Roger08

Roger08 New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    I have Digtal Cable Box attached to Tivo Series 2 and I do not get all Digital Channels.
    pl help

11. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    If your STB (cable set top box) is not receiving all of the digital channels you'll need to contact your cable provider.

You didn't mention if you originally received all of the digital channels that are part of your cableco agreement or not. If some/all recently disappeared you may only need to reboot TiVo - unplug it for 10 or 15 seconds and plug it back in. You may also need to reboot your STB the same way.

If you never received all of the digital channels (again, that are part of your cableco agreement) or just upgraded/added new channels, try running TiVo's setup and make sure all of your information is entered correctly:

TiVo Central > Messages and settings > Restart or reset system > repeat guided setup.