Digital cable pass-thru when using Series 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gastrof, Jul 24, 2007.

1. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    If someone were to use a Series 1 or 2 with digital cable, and has a TV with a digital tuner (and possibly cable cards), if the TiVo was set to "standby" would it allow the digital cable signal to make it by RF to the TV's digital tuner? Or would only analog channels make it thru? (Seems to me everything would make it thru.)

Same question for OTA as well. One antenna, hooked into the TiVo, TiVo has an RF line running to the digital TV. TiVo on "standby", digital channels on the TV?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Digital cable and OTA will pass through, but I don't think cablecards wouldn't work well since they need constantly updated, which may be lost with the source cable essentially removed.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Actually that should work just fine. When in standby mode the TiVo is passing through the signal untouched, just as if you had the coax connected directly to the TV. And since CableCARDs are unidirectional they should be none the wiser to the switch. The only problem I could foresee is if your TVs firmware had some conditional response to the digital cable signal going away when your TiVo was not in standby. Even though unnecessary I could see some stupid TVs out there attempting to reset or re-sync the CableCARDs every time the signal went away, and that could potentially cause problems. But the only way to know if your TV had such a problem would be to actually try it.

Dan

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Why in the world would you ever connect a TiVo to your TV using RF, when any TV that has a digital tuner is always going to have an s-video or composite input that you could just connect to the TiVo? Split the coax and run one end into the TiVo and the other end into the TV. Then connect the TiVo via composite/s-video/component (If you have component) and use the input selector on the TV.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Splitters reduce quality! Connecting the coax directly from the wall to the TiVo will ensure you get maximum quality when recording on your TiVo. The coax cable run from the TiVo to the TV does not necessarily need to be what you use to actually watch stuff on the TiVo. You can have both S-Video and RF connected at the same time and use S-Video for TiVo playback and RF only for pass through.

Dan

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Hypothetical question, really, since my digital TV has a standard def. display and the TiVos feed into it thru A/V lines.

I was just wondering if the digital end of things held up when passing thru an analog device. It made sense it would, but sometimes things that make sense turn out not to.

As for splitters, an amplifying splitter would solve the problem, but if you already have one outside and try for another indoors, it can be nothing but trouble.