Digital Cable Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by EyesBL7, Mar 16, 2006.

1. EyesBL7

EyesBL7 New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    I recently purchased the Series II Humax/Tivo 40 hr DVD burner to use with my digital cable package. Since I've hooked it up the picture looks considerably darker and slightly blurred and the colors arent as brilliant as they were pre-tivo. Additionally, I cant view my HD channels any more. Is there a setting I missed? A trick or two perhaps that will help me?

This is my setup by the way.....From the wall outlet, to the digtial reciever, to the Tivo box, and then out to my TV.

2. EyesBL7

EyesBL7 New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    For the record, I was aware that Id not be able to record the HD signal with my Tivo, but I thought Id still be able to view it.

3. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    TiVo does not have the ability to handle HD in any way -- it doesn't have the hardware for it. If you want to view HD, you're going to have to separate it from the TiVo.

As for the PQ, TiVo does some compression, but it shouldn't be that bad. What kind of TV are you viewing it on?

4. kyle16

kyle16 Baseball Diehard

Mar 1, 2006
    everything you watch on Tivo is recorded footage - just depends on whether you are watching it 3 seconds after it was live or 3 days after. it can't record HD, so you can't view HD because of the aforementioned......

5. EyesBL7

EyesBL7 New Member

Mar 16, 2006

Ooof...I dont know the make and model of the TV off hand, Im at work ATM. it had a crystal clear digital image pre-Tivo though. Now, with the Tivo connected everything seems exceptionally darker with a slight blur. When you mention "seperating it" what do you mean? Feed the analog signal into the Tivo and use the digital feed directly into the TV? One of the problems Im trying to solve is my inability to record HBO with my Tivo. In my area HBOis only available via digital.

6. EyesBL7

EyesBL7 New Member

Mar 16, 2006

This is the model TV I have: Sanyo HT28745 28" Wide Screen 16:9 Integrated HDTV (1080i)

And the picture is SO dark its almost unwatchable.

7. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I was really wondering if it was a big TV or small. It's relatively small -- usually the compression artifacts are much more visible on big screen TVs. The only thing I could suggest is playing with the levels (color, brightness, etc.). The brightness shouldn't really be an issue. Overall the PQ is a little less because of the compression, but the brightness shouldn't really be a factor. I dunno.

Good luck.

8. EyesBL7

EyesBL7 New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Thanks for your advice, but that just makes things worse. For example the picture is SO dark any African American on the screen looks like a shadow. Their features are almost completely unrecognizable. This is maddening!!! :mad:

9. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I would say something's wrong then. It shouldn't be like that.

10. EyesBL7

EyesBL7 New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    I just noticed it's EXCEPTIONALLY bad on the premium channels like HBO.