Digital Audio not Working on TiVo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mazman, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1 of 10
    mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    I'm unable to get any audio out of Optical connector on my new TiVo HD.

While either end of the Optical cable "snaps" into my receiver, the connection to the TiVo doesn't securely and can be easily disconnected. The cable was working fine with my Comcast box.

Is this 'fixable' or should I return the unit for replacement (purchased at Costco online).

2. Sep 8, 2007 #2 of 10
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Connections on both ends should be firm. You might want to try another Toslink cable first. Some cables/connectors are better than others. You don't have to spend a lot, but don't skimp (and of course don’t crimp the cable).

After you replace the optical cable (particularly if you were using composite audio when you ran the TiVo setup), you may also need to do a hard reboot (unplug TiVo for 15 seconds and plug it back in) to ensure that it acknowledges the use of an optical audio connection.

If none of that is successful or if the TiVo optical audio port is loose/damaged, it might be time for a replacement TiVo.

3. Sep 8, 2007 #3 of 10
    rcamille

rcamille New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Do you have dolby digital enabled in the audio options menu?

4. Sep 8, 2007 #4 of 10
    mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    Resolved!!

It was the cable (thanks richsadams). The cable I had would not clip into the Tivo optical connector because the Tivo connector does not line up with the back of the Tivo case - it's slightly inside the case so the connector could not get in far enough to snap into place.

Now the new connector also does not firmly snap into place, but it works. I'll have to make sure not to disturb the connection.

Thanks for your help.

5. Sep 8, 2007 #5 of 10
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Glad to help. But it still might be worth a return as it sounds like the board may not be mounted properly...defective IMHO.

With Costco it's pretty easy...continue to use your current TiVo, order a new TiVo from them and when it arrives box up your "old" one and take it back to the local store for a full refund. You won't miss having TiVo, plus you'll have a new, properly built unit with a new warranty. It might be worth losing a few programs to have one that you don't have to worry about.

That’s a legitimate question for others having audio problems as well.

6. Sep 8, 2007 #6 of 10
    mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    This may be a dumb question, but is that something I can easily do? I'm assuming no.

You're probably right about returning it, but I just upgraded the hard drive and don't want to go through that again. Since the audio is now working, I think I'll keep it. Besides, Costo has a great return policy so if it becomes a problem later I can return it then. (It appears that Tivo's are not limited by Costo's new 90 day electronic return policy.)

7. Sep 9, 2007 #7 of 10
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Didn't realize that you had replaced the HDD - good work. :up: In that case you could probably pop it open and eyeball the optical port and see what's up. I wouldn't try to force anything, but you may be able to reposition it a bit but I'd be very careful about it.

I was just in Costco and didn't realize that they're now stocking them on the shelf, at least locally. ($279) So it would be an easy swap if and when the time comes.

8. mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    Update: Got a new TiVo HD and guess what - my cable doesn't fit securely in that one either. Only a cable with a small connector tip will fit. My cable has a rubber edge around it which presses up against the back of the Tivo before the cable can click into place.

9. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    That's pretty wild since this stuff has been standardized for years now. :confused: Live and learn I guess.

Thanks for the update! :up:

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The optical cables I used 11 years ago look the same as today. ALthough I only have one device using an optical cable now, everything else uses HDMI for audio.