Difficult install question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by qposner, Jan 16, 2006.

1. qposner

qposner New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    My wife and I are expecting our first child in May so my wife wants a plasma installed on the wall downstairs in the living room (who am I to argue?). My HT is located upstairs with the 10-250, but I will pick up another for downstairs. We want to locate it on a wall that is in the dead center of the house and does not run to the attic or any exterior walls. The top of the wall forms a railing upstairs in the HT room. Anyhow, this appears to be a difficult install for sat cables. Any idea what I might be charged for this?

I know the description is hard to follow so I hope this makes SOME sense.

Quinn

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    With that description and not actually seeing what's involved, it could coast almost anything.
    How good are you at this sort of thing. Scope out your options. Could you use moldings to hide the cables? Go around a corner and then up to the attic. You get the idea.

3. qposner

qposner New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I know the description is bad, I wish I could do better. Can I attach images to a thread? If so, I could attach a photo or sketch.

Thanks.

4. rsblaski

rsblaski New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Pahrump, NV
    I don't know if I have an accurate mental image of what you are describing, but I had a similar problem in that I wanted to run cables to an inside wall.
    What I did was to run conventional cables from outside the house and into a closet. I ran the cables at floor level and then drilled through the wall on the opposite side and installed two double cable wall plates. I then used some micro cable made by Monster (I know--boo!) with an L connection. I pulled up the carpeting from the outside wall of the closet and ran the cables underneath and brought them up behind my HT.
    If you have carpeting between where your cables enter your house and where you will be installing the HR10, I would highly recommend using this micro cable. I have had absolutely no reception problems and other than where the cables go from the wall plates to under the carpet, there is no way you can tell cables are there.

5. qposner

qposner New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks for the info. I am thinking I may rearrange out downstairs living room and place it near a more accessible area. It will save the headache and may actually look good. I think I am going to go with the 37in Philips LCD that is out. Best Buy said they would match the Costco price!