Different listings for Roamio and Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by HarleyRandom, Nov 1, 2020.

1. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

Why?

I transferred a movie from my Roamio to my Bolt. On the Roamio, it had a rating of from one to four stars and a certain description. On the Bolt, it said "Generally unfavorable reviews" and there was a number like 34 whose meaning I don't know, and the description even looked different.

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    star ratings and number ratings are from different sources - as for descriptions, that's a tivo ask.

3. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Yeah, but why does the Bolt show one and the Roamio the other?

4. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    different software versions? different guide experiences (te3/te5)?

or, since the number ratings (0-100) can be turned on and off, one may be on, the other off.

5. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

I do know the main menu on the Roamio is vertical while the main menu on the Bolt is horizontal.

6. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    That's the trick. TE3 guide data is delivered once daily, and can be different from TE4 guide data, which is delivered throughout the day.

For more info, get a few problem examples and post in the master Guide thread Daily Guide Updates

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TE4 gets 3 guide updates daily with fixed times. A service connection still works, but does not affect the fixed times.
    SI-2b.JPG

8. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    Star ratings seem to be subjective assessments from non-qualified reviewers. (How else do you justify four stars for “The Fifth Element” and three stars for “The Sound of Music”?) These tend to be tied to breathlessly positive descriptions of even duds by what can only be the public-relations of the film itself.

The numbered ratings are based on MetaCritics, a RottenTomatoes rival that attempts to quantify reviews vs just tally positive and negatives. These tend to be associated with more objective descriptions that essentially summarize the plot vs orgasm about it.

9. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    When it comes to artistic content, every rating is subjective. Even the (so called) "experts" are just offering an opinion (just like all reviewers of film, food, music, etc.). You may agree with the review, or you may disagree with the review, but it is a review (sometimes I strongly agreed with Roger Ebert, sometimes I strongly disagreed, but I always appreciated his point of view and well reasoned arguments, even when I thought he was just plain wrong). If you do not wish to go to every movie, or watch every TV show, or visit every restaurant, or listen to every album ever produced, you find a reviewer whose conclusions seem to match your opinions, and follow their recommendations. And then, if you wish to open your mind, try a few things that that reviewer absolutely hated just to see what else is out there (for example, I am not a romantic comedy film aficionado, but I do watch them from time to time just to verify they are still not for me).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    wizwor likes this.