Difference between Tivo series 1 and 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bluenight777, Jun 21, 2006.

1. bluenight777

bluenight777 New Member

Apr 19, 2006

Advertisements

I have been wondering which Tivo should I buy. Tivo 2 looks better but forums say it can't be hacked. What does it mean? What functionality I can add by hacking Tivo 1 which is not already there in Tivo 2? Is it only about adding/replacing Hard disks?

Please help!!

2. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    If you need to ask the question then you probably shouldn't start hacking a Series 1. Disks can be upgraded on either model.

Go for a new Series 2, in most cases the DT would be your best bet.

3. bluenight777

bluenight777 New Member

Apr 19, 2006
    I am no expert but do have basic idea about stuff. I am good with Linux, good with circuits, PC(assembled mine), soldering etc (designed and running my own FM Radio station with 2 miles range).

I am intersted in hacking just for fun but would like to know what do I gain.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
  5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

Advertisements

It is the Series 2.5 (TSN begins with 5 or 6) that requires a somewhat significant hardware modification to hack. Series one, or Series 2s that begin with 1 or 2 (or 3 for DirecTV DVRs), can be hacked with just software (by removing the drive and modifying it).

Personally, I don't see a need to hack current Standalone versions (7.x), as they do nearly everything the hacks do. I haven't done any hacks since I got 7.2, it is running 7.3 stock, except an upgrade to a 160 GB drive.