difference between phase III and slimline dish

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by kiddk1, Jun 23, 2009.

1. kiddk1

kiddk1 The KIDD

Oct 9, 2003
    MOTOWN

Advertisements

what is the difference between the phase III dish and the slimline, when I upgraded from the hr10-250 to the hr20 the tech swapped my dish out for the slimline. thanks

2. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    The slimline can access the 99 and 103 degree satelites in addition to the 101, 110 and 119 sats that the phase III dish can access. The newer HD channels are on the 99 and 103 degree sats so you need the new dish to get those channels.

Or to put it another way the Phase III dish can "see" 3 satelites while the Slimline can "see" 5 satelites.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Also, the two dishes are aligned differently. The Phase III is aligned at the 110 sat, whereas the Slimline is aimed at the 101 sat.

4. kiddk1

kiddk1 The KIDD

Oct 9, 2003
    MOTOWN
    thank you, the reason I ask is because when I go to my vacation home I want to take the phase III with me and hook it up to the Hr10-250, doesnt sound like I will be missing much.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

With the Phase III and the HR10-250, you won't miss anything, other than all of the MPEG4 channels that the HR20 can receive with the Slimline.

6. kiddk1

kiddk1 The KIDD

Oct 9, 2003
    MOTOWN
    thanks

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I think that oversimplifies it to the point of being confusing. Both dishes are aligned to 110,119, and 101, with the Slimline also aligned to 99 and 103. The alignment process for the Slimline uses just 101 and 119, but to be sure, the rest of the sats are designed to fall in line and the dish is definitely aligned to all 5 sats when finished.

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I guess I should have said "centrally aligned" to 101 or 110. :)

9. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    No biggie, it's just that in your response there was the possibility for differing definitions of terms. If you equate "aligned" (which to me is past tense for an actual process, and not simply a state of being) with "aimed at" or "illuminated by" (which is indeed a state of being), it becomes confusing.

Differentiating the two terms helps clarifies things. I think (hope!). :confused:

You can "align" to something actually different than or a subset of what you are actually "aimed at" or "illuminated by", for instance.

On the Slimline, you can "align" to spot beams that aren't even really pointed at you, primarily, and from which you will never receive authorized programming (out of market stations), and since those spot beams emanate from the same place as the ones that do give you programming, it still works as an effective method of alignment.