Didn't think ahead

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dkraft, Sep 12, 2011.

1. dkraft

dkraft Member

Dec 20, 2004

Advertisements

Purchased the Premier. Starting thinking about only having around 47 hrs of HD recording time. Bought the Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA External drive and hooked it up. Everything is working fine.

Now I'm like, "well maybe I should get the 2T internal hard drive".

Here is my questions.

1. If I remove the external My Book do I loose all my shows or just the ones that may have been stored on it?

2. If I take the factory internal HD and clone it to the 2T with the tools found here, then plug in the 2T internally and keep the My Book plugged in, will all my shows still be there?

Thanks in advance for any help

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you remove the external, shows recorded SINCE the connection will be removed. Tivo shares the recording storage between the 2 drives, not separately. You would need to use JMFS as the other methods are not compatible with Premiere, and if you want to add back in the external, it must be connected to the PC.

If you go with a 2 drive system, there is a chance you will lose recordings when either one of the drives fail.

3. dkraft

dkraft Member

Dec 20, 2004
    I'll be using this information for my upgrade
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=455968

Thanks

4. dkraft

dkraft Member

Dec 20, 2004
    I just bought this drive at Amazon
    Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA II Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD20EARS

I'll be using JMFS and the HD, Any got ya's?