Didn't Record Survivor

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lkjhgjjfdas, Sep 27, 2018.

1. lkjhgjjfdas

lkjhgjjfdas New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    I apologize if this is answered somewhere else in the forum but I couldn't find anything. I have a new Tivo Roamio OTA VOX and it records programs from PBS channels just fine. However, several days ago, I programmed the box to record Survivor from our local CBS channel. I checked the To Do List beforehand and it was set and ready to go. This morning I went to My Shows and Survivor wasn't there and no message anywhere in the menus saying why it didn't record. So, my question is, are popular programs on the commercial broadcast channels being blocked by the commercial networks so they won't record on the Tivo? I know years ago certain programs were "copy guard protected" and wouldn't record on certain VCR's or DVD recorders. For instance, I have a Philips DVD recorder and it won't record any programs from the cable Syfy channel.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    First, don't call TiVo. They are stupid. Second, is there information in the folder marked Recording Activity? There is no copy protection on OTA channels.

Make a test recording for the CBS, ABC and NBC channels. Any program, any time.

Can you record PBS on your Philips recorder from your PBS cable channel?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Did you confirm that channel as a signal/picture? Tivo will attempt to record from a channel with little or no signal but will not.

4. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Survivor changes it name each year. Such as Survivor Fiji or Survivor something else.
    For that reason your One pass will not record from last season. You need to make a One pass for the new seasons name.

5. Rugged Ron

Rugged Ron Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Ditto on this. I had to change my "One Pass" this season to pick up the current Survivor.

6. lkjhgjjfdas

lkjhgjjfdas New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Thank you for all the replies. After doing a hard power recycle all my recorded programs are in My Shows, including Survivor. We've had a number of power fluctuations in the past week and that may have caused my recorded programs not to appear in My Shows. All is well now.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Buy a UPS. Check the Recording Activity folder. Even a momentary power failure would not stop a complete recording.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I advise a wishlist for these kinds of shows, keeps you from missing one when the new season starts. Works for Amazing Race as well, if it still gets made anymore. :|

Nortnarg likes this.
  9. Drpepr

Drpepr New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Is there a list of shows where the OnePass will not work from season to season?

Frustrating....I thought that was the whole point of the onepass.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo doesn't control the program ID (or name). For a forum dedicated to 1P problems, some of which are caused by program changes, see: Season Pass Alerts

Drpepr likes this.
  11. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Considering TiVo is Rovi, and the guide data comes from Rovi, one could easily argue they have a lot of influence, if not outright control. They play silly buggers ALL THE TIME, Survivor is a pretty common example. Another one was the recent season of Trial & Error. The original season pass caught the first couple episodes. Then they changed the name to Trial & Error:Lady Killer, and the second two episodes were missed. Then they changed back, just for giggles. Google Survivor TiVo and you'll find years of complaints (TBF, before the data change) of TiVo deciding that the Survivor Reunion Episode was a separate series and therefore did not record. Ask any Star Trek + TiVo fan what happened with Enterprise, later given a new ID, then a new name (and ID).

tl;dr: The guide data sucks. That's why there's multiple threads here and other forums saying the guide data sucks.

12. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Gotham appears to want to customize the name for each new season and it recorded without a hiccup, if I remember correctly...

-KP