Did TiVo really have a booth at CES?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GuysInCT, Jan 12, 2006.

1. GuysInCT

GuysInCT TV addict

Apr 29, 2002
    Norwalk, CT
    The NY Times reported today (in David Pogue's weekly Circuits email) that TiVo was very absent from CES:

What's the real story? Is The NY Times wrong?

2. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I just read that in David Pogue's e-mail and find it hard to believe. I saw pictures in the HH that someone had taken at TiVo's booth. In the past, TiVo's booth has been upstairs in a hallway and not on the main show floor. I'm not sure why they have done this as it seems to provide much less exposure. Perhaps Mr. Pogue simply never got upstairs this year.

3. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    I read someone saying that the booth was just pretty well hidden. Plus the video thats out with Pony doesn't look like it was taken in a hotel room, looks like showroom floor to me. The article I read about it being well hidden mentioned the TiVo booth was close to someone else big that was hard to find right by them.

4. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    We were in the same spot we've been the past four years. No surprises, no mystery, we were there. And David Pogue has been there in the past...I've demo'd to him at past shows.

Weird.

Pony

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's probably a lot less expensive. When we went to CES a few years ago the main floor was filled with the big guys who no doubt can afford the premium put on the premium spots. TiVo's room was small and out of the way, but it was well layed out and actually created a more personal feel then the open "booths" down on the main floor.

Dan

6. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I didn't end up going to the show, but prior to it I had no problem getting the booth information and finding it on a map -- all at the CES website.

My guess is that the guy read the AP story about the lack of new TiVo PR at the show and just assumed that meant they weren't there. A very cursory search proves that not only were they there, but comes up with photos of the booth.

Are reporters getting so lazy now that the only thing they can do is look at the first result of a Google search?

7. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    Dude! Where ya been?
    The old grey lady has had alzheimer's for years.

;)

8. weathertop

weathertop No worries

Jan 24, 2003
    Short Hills, NJ
    I missed TivoPony at the show, but I can vouch that they were in a conference room off the North Hall (N204, I believe).

I had to trek down a long hallway to reach their room. It should be noted that this and other hallways at the convention center had several conference rooms with lots of other companies also showing their wares, who no doubt couldn't afford main show floorspace.

And, the videos of Tivo's CES setup don't do justice to the homey feel that they had, which also included a nice welcome desk in the entry way, with several Tivos set up around the rooms on flatscreen TVs.

Plus, all of us who showed received Tivo-branded backpacks and breath mints. Microsoft provided none of this at their mammoth booth on the central floor and bored me to death with yet another Windows Vista overview ("Oooooo, look at the UI that we've most recently stolen from Apple.")

:D

9. bellvis

bellvis New Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Knoxville, TN
    Hidden? How hard can it be to find a room that is clearly indicated in the conference directory? Sure, you might have to walk down a corridor in the North Hall, but I made the effort last year on the first trip. For Pogue, running around the convention center should be easy.

10. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    NY Times be wrong?

Never.

11. Glued2TiVo

Glued2TiVo Now in Color!

Jan 1, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Wait... ReplayTV no longer exists?

12. TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
  13. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    And don't forget, Windows Vista lets you organize your family photos!!!

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    They were in meeting room N204 if I remember it right, which is where they've been for the past few years as TivoPony said. I drop by every year I'm there.

Years ago (somewhere between 1999 and 2001) they had a real booth on the show floor, right next to Replay's. I haven't seen ANY Replay presence at CES in years. For this year, it's no surprise because of the story already mentioned.

15. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The thing is, Pogue didn't even have to go up there. All he had to do was look in the directory and see if TiVo was listed. He didn't even take that step. What a slacker.

16. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    It's easier just to bash them for not being there then actually make sure they weren't there. :)

17. shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
    I thought this thread was going to be along the lines of "Were the moon landings faked in a studio somewhere" :D

18. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    If Tivo wasn't there, then how did I get all the cool Tivo swag ;) :D

And I missed Shanan which I am very upset about.

-smak-

19. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Shame, we had a nice conversation on Sunday.

Did you miss Amanda from Rocketboom too? ;-) (She was in there Friday afternoon for a bit.)

20. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Frick, i was there Saturday around 5 or so.

When I saw Shanan wasn't there, my whole day, nay week, ok life was ruined. :)

-smak-