Did Tivo Desktop Give Me Isass.exe Virus?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dubbadown, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Dubbadown

Dubbadown Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    So my laptop was giving me some issues (running slow, shutting off unexpectedly), so I decided to do an entire redo. I backed up all my data, and reinstalled Windows XP. I re-loaded some programs (Office, Firefox) and then I decided to install the Tivo Desktop. I had yet to install Itunes and Quicktime and at the end of the Tivo Desktop installation it told me I had to install Quicktime, but it also asked me if I wanted to restart my computer. I figured Tivo Desktop was good so I decided to restart. Well, when my laptop tried to boot back up, I got the dreaded "lsass.exe-System Error -Object name not found" message. When I click OK, my computer just automatically reboots and I keep getting the error.

So I did a search on this Isass message and apparently its a virus. So (A) does anyone know how to get around this virus without totally starting from scratch and reinstalling Windows since I just got done doing that? And (B) the only thing I installed from the last time I was able to successfully log on to my computer was the Tivo Desktop so logical thinking would leave me to believe that it was the Tivo Software that infected me. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas??

I'm running a Compaq 2190 if that helps.

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    I don't think so, I do not recall TiVo desktop asking to install QuickTime either, however it may of already been previously installed. Where did you get the installation program from? TiVo Desktop 2.4a for Windows
    I just finished a complete search on my XP Pro machine for any file name that contained the string "Isass" nothing was found.

3. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    TiVo Desktop 2.4 does prompt to install QuickTime if it's not already installed, as it now supports .mov QT videos...

But if you didn't format and wipe the HD completely, the virus, as many do, could have, and most likely did, still survive... many viruses can even survive a virus cleaning program unless the cleaning program is ran from a separate, virus-free, boot disk that has never been inserted into that computer since the virus planted itself on the PC, as many viruses can insert themselves onto any floppy disk inserted into the infected PC.

Thus, it sounds like you got the virus at some point, and simply reinstalling Windows XP is not going to get rid of it...

Did you try going to McAfee's site to see what they have to say about that specific virus and if/how it can be cleaned? I'm not familiar with it myself.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    It may also be a legitimate Windows process. Here:

ISABLE AND REMOVE isass.exe IMMEDIATELY. This process is most likely a virus or trojan.. It is highly recommended to Run a Free Performance Scan to automatically optimize memory, CPU and Internet settings.

Determining whether isass.exe is a virus or a legitimate Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from.

A little more information:

Windows errors related to isass.exe ?

isass.exe is registered as the Optix.Pro virus which carries in it's payload the ability to disable firewalls and local security protections, and a backdoor capability.

Free Virus Scan and further Information