Did my TiVo just die?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by vitomomma407, Jul 7, 2009.

1. vitomomma407

vitomomma407 New Member

Jul 7, 2009

Advertisements

I'm thinking it did but just want to make sure.
    I have the HD DVR and use a Comcast cable card. One night we were watching recorded programs and the next morning there was nothing. No lights on the front of the box, nothing. I unplugged everything, waited 10 minutes and replugged it in. Still nothing. It's been three days (I know, it's been rough!) and the box is still pretty warm on the bottom. Fan issue? I'd appreciate any suggestions you have. The date on the back of the box says 26 Sep 07. I bought it Dec '08. thanks everyone! :confused:

2. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    So the lights have never come back on? I'd think the fan issue would allow it to start up a bit, maybe unplug and leave unplugged until it feels completely cool on the bottom, then start it back up. Your tivo could also be going into sleep mode somehow???, have you tried pushing the tivo button on the remote to see if the front lights up?

You could have a bad power supply, and though usually much more common not sure if it would be a hard drive issue or not. Have you had any storms lately? Tivo on a UPS or surge protector? Hopefully not the motherboard.

Just trying to problem solve....

3. vitomomma407

vitomomma407 New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    After it was cool, I tried again. I hear the fan going but nothing happens when I hit the tivo button on the remote.

I do have it hooked up to a surge protector power strip. No storms lately.

What's sleep mode and how do you make that happen?

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Standby, even if it was in standby you would see the "Powering Up" screen and some lights on the front panel. I suspect you have a power supply failure the only way to be sure is to have it checked by a technician.

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

There is a ribbon cable to the front panel, if that became unplugged from the motherboard somehow you would get what you are seeing, if you want to take the top cover off and make sure the cable is fully plug in it would cost a little time and a T10 tool to try it. (Unplug the AC first please as the power supply is open)