Did Comcast go SDV in Houston?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nirvanayoda, Nov 22, 2007.

1. nirvanayoda

nirvanayoda New Member

Aug 11, 2006

Advertisements

Just fyi guys. I'm pretty sure that's the problem as several channels (I'm assuming low traffic channels) are black on my series 3 tivo but play just fine on comcast's HD box. This makes sense because Comcast recently added several HD channels (all of which are NOT sdv). Oh well, at least I'm not losing any channels I actually watched...let's just hope it continues that way...(one example is channel 116 ESPN News...another is Fit TV).

Oh and, Tivo, PLEASE HURRY on that usb dongle. Thanks.

2. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    ESPN News and FIT Tv come in fine for me on my S3.

3. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    I get those channels on my S3 as well. You might want to check your authorizations with Comcast. What channels are you not getting? Assuming I have the proper channel packages, I can help you check.

Perhaps you could edit your title of this thread. Maybe change it to "I think...SDV"? There is already so much SDV FUD thrown around here (not saying that it is not real for some folks), but your thread title sounds official like it's a done deal.

I was not aware that Comcast was doing SDV anywhere. Kind of goes against the partnership they have with TiVo.

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The OP problem does not sound like SDV, just cablecard authorization problem. However, that doesn't mean that Comcast isn't using SDV. They already have in Denver and parts of New Jersey. Partnerships only go so far.

5. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX

Advertisements

Thanks for that information. I guess I had a false impression because it seems that Time Warner is always the one mentioned here pushing SDV

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Looking at them now (and it's the *only* time I've ever tuned in FIT TV, and prolly the last). No SDV here.

7. nirvanayoda

nirvanayoda New Member

Aug 11, 2006
    My apologies...it was the only thing that made sense to me. Who should I ask to change the thread title?

8. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Just click on the red triangle icon that's to the left of the post and under your username to report the post, and in the message ask the thread title to be changed and give what it should be changed to.

9. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I'm pretty sure it was the Comcast CEO that not that long ago said they planned to aggressively rollout SDV or something to that effect. I can't imagine they would delay adding HD channels to keep Tivo HD users happy.

10. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    They're testing SDV in two cities now and based on that have chosen the equipment they want to use when they deploy SDV elsewhere.

Remember that their partnership with TiVo brings TiVo software to their already-deployed hardware, fully supporting SDV, PPV and OnDemand content, so there's not really anything to "go against."

And they are working on the Tuning Resolver which will solve the SDV problem for all Series 3 and TiVo HD users, too. The only significant fault I find, which I hope is resolved soon, is that they're not keeping us informed about the progress of the Tuning Resolver, though they do at least mention it in their online materials... better than completely denying its existence, I suppose.