Did CHAOS End in a Cliffhanger?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pkscout, Jul 17, 2011.

1. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I've got the last episode of CHAOS sitting on my HTPC waiting to be watched pending the answer to one question. Is the last episode a cliffhanger? If so I'm going to delete the last episode having enjoyed the 12 episodes that were on. I'm tired of letting the networks treat viewers like crap by airing cliffhanger endings when they know the show has been cancelled, so I'm not going to participate in that abusive relationship anymore when I can help it.

2. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    No cliffhanger. A nice wrap up episode really.

3. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    As CraigK said, no cliffhanger, and certainly a fine place to end the series.

Well, ok, we are left wondering if Martinez will ever get his desk... ;)

4. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have slowly been watching these and noticed episodes out of order. Not many story arcs but the relationship with the blond director was one and the eps were out of order showoing Martinez trying to have a relationship with her before the episode where she first shows up etc. I guess they showed the last 3 or 4 in order?

5. sfenton

sfenton Active Member TCF Club

Feb 8, 2004
    Acworth Ga
    It did end in a cliff hanger - three or four episodes ago. There was a previous episode where the blond director thought she was being followed. The episode ended with a scene showing that there were people following her. The show ended with the (presumably) bad guys pulling up to her house as Martinez drove away. Or did I imagine that.

They really screwed with the broadcast order of this show.

6. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    I'd forgotten about that. Maybe that was going to be the original season ender episode, but didn't work as a series ender.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, the season finale was the last episode.

The first couple, however, were shown very late in the run. At one point I think the show was retooled and episodes that had been shot were shelved, then aired later for no apparent reason and with no regard to continuity. E.g., there was the one where it was revealed that the British chick was spying on Martinez, even though there was no hint of that before or after; their relationship in that episode clearly was not the same as their relationship in the rest of the show.

I wonder if the network just wanted to fill up slots on Saturday nights, and rather than have the production company make two new episodes just took the two that they had already made and shelved.

The airing order was Pilot 3 6 4 8 2 5 1 7 9 10 11 12.

8. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I still can't believe they axed this so quickly. It was not a great show, but it was certainly better than a lot of dreck out there.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Right, but quality isn't an issue. It's ratings.

I think it's been scientifically proven that the population in general doesn't WANT quality. ;)

10. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I think the show was two things simultaneously that didn't necessarily work together. It was an action spy show and an office comedy. This worked better in the show about the Security Company. Breaking Out? There were some pretty weak episodes mixed with good ones.

11. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    Thanks, I knew the broadcast order what scrambled, but didn't realize it was that jumbled up right from the start.

12. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Yup. They firefly'd it.

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It was pretty much a guarantee that it was going to fail before it ever aired a single episode. 1. CBS held it until very late in the season; 2. They premiered it on a Friday night; 3. They gave the show very little promotion and no significant lead in; and 4. Most of the reviews of the pilot episode indicated that the show was pretty mediocre. Add all that together, and it's no surprise that the ratings for the first episode were poor (1.1), that they went downhill from there (0.9 and 1.0 in the next two airings), and that CBS didn't see any point keeping it on when they could replace it with reruns that would bring better ratings.

14. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I have to agree with DevdogAZ. I just knew this was doomed from the start. I still watched every episode, because it was enjoyable. I'm not one of those people who records an entire season, and then deletes it without watching it if I learn it is cancelled. No condemnation for those that do. Just different viewing habits.

I liked the quirky, over-the-top fun of this show. Plus it had spies. I like spies. I like spies like Piper Parebo, Maggie Q, and Peta Wilson more than the ODS dudes (Covert Affairs, Nikita, and La Femme Nikita, respectively), but Jamie Murray was a spy, too, albeit under-utilized. She did work as a field op in that one episode where they were trying to get the dictator's younger son to take over the country instead of his ruthless older brother, and did a bang up job.

15. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I enjoyed this show and how they closed it out decently instead of with a cliffhanger.

16. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Yes she did. With the brother. ;)

17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I wouldn't mind if it ended on a cliff hanger as long as I knew it was canceled before the last episode aired.

18. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Show would have been a hit on the USA network.