Did anyone like Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Gunnyman, Dec 4, 2019 at 5:00 PM.

1. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I have been working through all of the Star Trek on Netflix and just finished Enterprise last night.
    I have to say I rather enjoyed it. The theme song was horrible and I skipped it every episode but I thought it was good. I like my Trek serialized. DS9 is my favorite series and always will be but I liked Enterprise much more than I expected to.
    Am I alone?

2. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I was a big fan of Enterprise. I also hated the theme song, and would mute the TV whenever it came on or fast forward through it. I thought it brought a lot to the mythos, but I will admit I hated, hated hated... did I mention I hated the last episode. The Troi/Riker addition ruined it for me.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  3. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I seem to recall liking it more as it went along; but yeah I mostly liked Enterprise. (Aside from the theme song)

4. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Liked, yes.

It had some bad episodes, and some lulls, but realistically no more than any of the other Trek franchises that came before it. They all had their episode/plot swings and misses.

The theme song is one of those things that seems like it could have worked in theory, but failed miserably in execution.

And yes, the last episode was horrible beyond horrible.

But in general, it was pretty good, and filled a hole.

kaszeta likes this.
  5. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Well, now I have to go back and watch this horrible episode. My memory tells me HD was just getting to my local channels and I went nuts trying to get a signal when Enterprise came on. Troi and Riker?? I definitely don't remember the episode.

6. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Yeah the last episode was weird. Troi and Riker were really out of place.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm the odd duck who probably liked Enterprise more than any of the other franchises. Among other things, the acting seemed better than in the earlier franchises, and the characters more real.

But now, so that people can discount any negligible worth of my opinion: I really liked the theme song, and think that it is a top television series theme song. :eek:

Peter000, jeetkunedo and osu1991 like this.
  8. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i liked the series, watched every ep from start to finish, but probably won't watch it again.

ds9 was boring for me, voyager was by far my favorite of the spin-offs.

9. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I enjoyed it. Seeing Federation tech developing — and often breaking — was fun, as was connecting the dots with their future history. But most important to me, as in all the Treks many stories symbolically worked their way through current issues of American society.

The big one was the characters' reactions to the Xindi attack, which were informed by Americans' reactions to 9/11 of course, especially as Archer at times abandoned his ideals in pursuit of the Xindi weapon above all else. The lyrics in the non-standard theme song were a sign of the times too, so I can tolerate it.

DS9 remains my favorite Trek, with Enterprise second, so you know I like stories that are a bit more real and a bit less utopian than Gene Roddenberry would have wanted. And so yes, without a doubt, the last Enterprise episode would have been great, but was ruined by those gratuitous TNG character cameos.

10. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Yep, Enterprise has been my favorite of the series.

Mikeguy likes this.
  11. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I did not hate it but it was less than my favorite Trek when I first watched it. However, I did a rewatch a couple years ago and found that I quite liked it (although DS9 is still my favorite).

12. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    Season 4 was by far the best, and they just started to get better with Manny Coto running the show, and BAM, they canceled it.

"In a Mirror, Darkly" was BY FAR, the best episode of all, and right at the top 5 best episodes of all the various ST incarnations.

In a Mirror, Darkly - Wikipedia

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 8:31 PM
    gweempose, osu1991, morac and 2 others like this.
  13. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    In all the ads before the premiere, they used "Wherever You Will Go" instead of "Faith of the Heart". So I'd pretend that was the actual theme song (parts of it fit really well).

14. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I went and looked up an old ad. I'm not really sure "Wherever You Will Go" worked any better. I mean, it was better... but it still seemed very off tone.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 8:57 PM
    Mikeguy and Pokemon_Dad like this.
  15. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    All hail Empress Sato!

16. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I enjoyed the series though hated the long story arc of the first few seasons which were just not that good.

The final season things got better with the two part episode airing routine that allowed for two hour stories (less commercial run time) to be told over two successive airings. I didn't mind the "to be continued" approach for that since it paid off in the following week and offered a stronger story for that little mini-arc within the season.

I wish that it had continued but it just didn't keep the viewers. Sadly in the first few seasons of Enterprise's life Firefly was a much, much better show that was killed too soon. If Firefly had stuck around then the problems with the first few years of Enterprise would have stood out even more and would just have been really embarrassing for Paramount. Really pathetic story telling and a long story arc that was just stupid :mad:

17. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Yep definitely this. In a Mirror, Darkly is my favorite Enterprise episode and in my top ten for all ST.

The problem with Enterprise is that the first 3 seasons weren’t that great. If they had produced season 4 quality from the get-go, Enterprise likely would have had a longer run.

allan and terpfan1980 like this.
  18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    A good, died-in-the-wool episode, solidly in the Star Trek mantel. But I always was affected by the Trip-focused episodes--Connor Trinneer just had the role down pat. Trip's getting pregnant, Trip's clone (a heart-wrenching episode), Trip and T'Pol.

Dang--now I'm going to need to watch the series again. :)

MikeBear likes this.
  19. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I enjoyed the series and the theme. But I don't feel the need to watch it all again.

20. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Here's one of several attempts to redub it into the opening credits:

(I have to admit, I did one of these myself, but was never satisfied enough to put it online.)