Did an update ruin my recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DiGNAN17, Jan 31, 2012.

1. DiGNAN17

DiGNAN17 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    I'm a little concerned. Yesterday I was watching TV in the afternoon on my very recently purchased Premiere Elite (about a week old). I turned off the system and went to do something else at around 6pm. I came back at around 8:30pm and when everything turned on I was informed that my Tivo had been updated. I was happy about that, until I started noticing that every recording at a certain time had been interrupted! I had half of Jeopardy, for example, and the last 50-55 minutes of House. It seemed the Tivo was down for about 20-25 minutes starting at about 7:45pm.

Is this normal? Do the Premiere units not warn you about an update? Are they really not set to perform this update when they know there's nothing scheduled? Why the heck didn't the box just wait until around 1am when nothing was recording? Or 2am. Or any time other than primetime! WTF?

Is this something I'm going to have to worry about in the future? Is my new Tivo always going to surprise me at awful times with update reboots?

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    They are supposed to download the update and then wait until something like 2AM to install it unless you force it sooner. The update requires the Tivo to do a restart.

3. DiGNAN17

DiGNAN17 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    That all sounds reasonable, but I definitely did not force an update, there was no power outage, and I was never even told there was an update waiting! I thought it had done all the updates when I first set the thing up. I had a couple waiting. Where in the settings do I go to force it to check for an update?

4. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    What do you mean by turned OFF the system? Did you turn off the TV, AVR, Tivo?

If you turned off the Tivo, it would then install the new software during the power up. This would probably take longer than a normal boot up (which is incredibly slow already). This could have interrupted its recordings.

The Tivo should always be left on. But I assume you already know that. If it is left on, it will install the update at 2 am unless it is actively recording a program you requested. If it is recording, it will reboot and install the update after the recording is complete.

At least that is the way I understand how it works.

5. DiGNAN17

DiGNAN17 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Yes, I already know that. I've had Tivo boxes for over ten years now.

When I mean I turned the system off I mean I turned off my home theater. TV, receiver, etc.

*edit*
    I'm not even sure how I'd "turn off" my Tivo other than pulling the power or going into the settings and doing a reset.

6. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Sorry, you responded while I was composing my last message.

You can't force an update. It will download it during its daily call/connection if one is available. If you go into system settings and look at the status of the last call, it will say pending restart if it has downloaded an upate. If you don't want to wait until 2 am to install it, then you can force a restart now. Then it would immediately install the update.

7. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    It sounds like you are a seasoned Tivo user and didn't do anything wrong.

I have no explanation for what you experienced.

8. DiGNAN17

DiGNAN17 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Sorry, I re-read my post and didn't mean for it to sound snippy :)

9. Feb 1, 2012 #9 of 13
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I have a wild guess. Somehow the TiVo got mislead about what time it was, or in what time zone it was, mistook 7:45pm for 1:45am or 2:45am or whatever, did a reboot, connected to the mothership after reboot, found out what time it really was and said Oops!, I'm supposed to be recording right now, and started doing so.

If that's what happened it doesn't make it excusable, of course, but I'm reasonably certain that TiVo, Inc. haven't gotten so stupid as to think a reboot for new software takes precendence over a scheduled recording.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    My guess- you had a "spontaneous reboot" and when that happened, it went ahead and updated the software. The new version seems much more stable than any of the older Premiere software versions.

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Thats my vote. You had an update pending a restart, something happened around 7:45 and your TiVo crashed/spontaneously restarted which caused the update to be installed.

Good Luck,

12. DiGNAN17

DiGNAN17 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    It's certainly possible, I suppose. Darn it. Oh well, things seem to have been going okay since then.

Thanks for the input, folks.

13. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    What I meant by forcing the update is to install one that has already downloaded. However, if you know that there is an update you can force the Tivo to connect to the mothership a couple of times and that usually starts the download. A situation where that would be the case is if you installed a new drive and used an original factory image. They are often a version or two behind so you could force the calls and hope it downloads the new version. To check to see if an update has been downloaded, you can go to the system status and one of the pages will show something like "restart pending". You can force that restart or let it happen naturally in the wee hours of the night.