Dickinson on Apple TV+ *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Dec 24, 2019.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    We have threads for the other Apple TV+ launch shows but not this one, I think. It’s the first one I’m watching. Anyone watching too? The whole season dropped at launch.

I’m three episodes in so far. I’m not sure what to make of it. It’s... probably not very good, at least not so far, but I’m kind of into it. It’s a mishmash of “modern spin on classic times”, wardrobe comedy, fantasy, melodrama... sometimes (usually) all at once. I have no idea what the show thinks it is so far, or if it’s at all in control of what it’s doing or is desperately hoping something will congeal. It’s kind of fascinating.

And yet... it’s kind of entertaining. Hailee Steinfeld (who is an EP), is puckish fun. Wiz Khalifa, playing Death (that’s right), has only been in one episode so far, but made an impression. Jane Krakowski seems to be playing Jane Krakowski in period garb. I have no idea why she’s in this show, but I assume there’s an answer coming at some point. It’s surprisingly sapphic. (I should refresh myself on Emily Dickinson and perhaps I wouldn’t be surprised.) It’s maddening in its period-correct treatment of women, which gives Steinfeld-as-Emily a lot to play against. The sad-sack sister Lavinia is a hoot.

The third episode, in which the Dickinson kids throw a modern house party while their parents are away, was kind of wild. Again I had no idea what the show thought it was doing when, at the party, a high-on-opium Emily dances with a giant bee. What will happen next? Who knows!

On to episode four.

hummingbird_206 likes this.
  2. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I haven't even started my free week yet, but I'll probably watch this when I do, if for nothing else I learned a new word from your review. I had to look up sapphic.

cmontyburns likes this.
  3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    This was one show I was certain I wouldn’t like. I mean why would a 76 year old straight man be interested in such a chick flick?
    But since the other shows were so well done, I said “what the hell, why not?”. Now I’m hooked!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    This was the first Apple TV+ show I watched. With the short episodes, I was able to binge it in less than a week.

After watching it, the best description I can come up with is that it is Dickinson for the CW crowd.

Since I am a big fan of Hailee Steinfeld, I was attracted to the show. Overall I liked it. Was it great TV? No. But it was fun and didn't require a whole lot of thought.

I agree with you about Lavinia, she was pretty funny.

I will be watching S2.

cmontyburns likes this.
  5. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Watched episode four, in which Emily met Thoreau, last night. That one was my favorite so far.

Funny, Walden was deserted the one time I’ve been there.

6. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Through episode seven, now, the one when the circus is in town and Edward wins the election. A few random thoughts on the last couple of episodes:
    • I thought the political commentary in this one was clumsy and distracting. Not that I minded the message, as I am like-minded, but it was so on-the-nose that it wasn't even plot.
    • I don't think the show has quite calibrated Edward's relationship with Emily. At times he is warm and indulgent of this daughter he doesn't quite understand; other times he stops just short (if even that) of being a monster.
    • The prior episode, when Emily faked being sick so she could write, was the most narratively cohesive one of the series so far. I think it's no coincidence that it is the only one of the first seven not written or co-written by creator Alena Smith. Of course, it still had Emily talking to a giant bee, so it hasn't suddenly become a life mirror.
    • Jason Mantzoukas keeps popping up in the credits as a guest actor and I'm not convinced he's ever been on-screen. ETA: Just hit up IMDB and he's the voice of the giant bee!
    • The Dickinson house seems huge on the inside but much smaller in the exterior shots they use.

7. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Finished. Solid season ender, although I didn't really buy Austin's heel turn at the wedding. Certainly he's jealous of Emily's relationship with Sue, and that makes him insecure, and those emotions would come to a head on his wedding day. But while he doesn't understand Emily, and she frustrates him, we've seen over and over again that he loves her and basically accepts her for who she is. I might have expected that when Sue returned and said she came back for him, Austin would have put aside his jealousy enough to keep his composure about Emily and Sue's antics on the wedding day. Not to mention that he genuinely loves Sue, and if that made her happy in the moment, he probably should have recognized it. By the way, I might love Sue, too. She really is lovely.

Anyway, I'll be back for season two. The show definitely has some tonal stuff to work out, and I still have no idea why Jane Krakowski is in it. But Hailee Steinfeld is really appealing, and Sue, Austin, and especially Lavinia are good characters. Plenty of stuff to work with when they get back to it.

8. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Thanks for starting a thread about this show. I hadn't noticed the show before I saw the thread. I'm about halfway through episode 3 and really enjoying it.

9. Jan 3, 2020 #9 of 11
    hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Finished the season and really enjoyed it.

I loved all the characters but Lavinia was my favorite.

Who is the father of Sue's baby, Austin or the Boston guy?

10. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    An open question, but my thinking is that it's probably Austin. The show made a point of showing them in flagrante delicto not long before we got the hint Sue is pregnant. I assume the former mainly existed to set up the latter.

hummingbird_206 likes this.
  11. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I gave up mid-way. I was mostly looking forward to this as I like Steinfeld. But the modern take and music just took me out everytime.