Dick Van Dyke Show returns to TV Land

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by lambertman, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1 of 27
    lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    There are 3-hour marathons every weeknight this week (10/3-7) , but that includes only five episodes. If you're interested, make sure to pad (early and late) or do a manual record for the whole block.

Note - "It May Look Like a Walnut!" is scheduled for "8:23" tonight (Monday) and again at 6:00 tomorrow.

2. Oct 3, 2011 #2 of 27
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    That (if I remember correctly) three parter with Danny Thomas was awesome. I think between years of strip syndiacation and some of the original broadcasts, I probably have seen every show.

3. Oct 3, 2011 #3 of 27
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Interesting.. If someone wants to see if they're actually uncut (except for commercial placement in weird places), I'd be interested.. but it's only for my own curiousity.

4. Oct 4, 2011 #4 of 27
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Oooh. One of my favorite episodes! :up:

(another is "Uhny Uftz")

5. Oct 4, 2011 #5 of 27
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    This is my favorite comedy show of all time.

I have the set on DVD. I also believe the entire run is on Netflix Instant Streaming.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #6 of 27
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Mine to, I missed it...

7. Nov 2, 2011 #7 of 27
    Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    According to my episode list, the next two weeks have a very large number of episodes in a series of marathons. It looks like maybe 65 or so.:eek:

8. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    After removing the commercials, each episode is almost exactly 20 minutes long. They run the closing credits in a corner of the screen while the last minute or so of the episode is still playing, presumably to save time. How long are the episodes supposed to have been? does anyone know if they are being cut, or mayne time-conpressed? I'd really like to know.

Oh, and lambertman, thanks for the head's up!

9. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    My problem is the show is on TVLand. This is the station that starts a show at 3:17. What's up with that? Should we boycott this station until they come up with a programing schedule consistent with logic???

Have of the episodes I record I see the ending of the previous show as the one I'm watching begins and it always cuts off the very end of the show. Does it with Andy Griffith, MASH... That station really bites big time...

10. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I can't disagree with any of your comments above. I can add that the ratio of programming to commercial is worse, by quite a bit, than any other channel I have ever watched!:(

Their programming schedule really DOES suck.

11. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    They originally would have been 23 or 24 minutes (although that would include the closing credits separately). Seems pretty safe to assume that they're being both cut and time-compressed.

12. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That sounds WAY too short. Oh, from the wikipedia page, it says: Running time 22–24 minutes

So I would SUSPECT (no proof), that if that info is right, it's the earlier episodes that are 24 minutes.

Heck, half hour TV shows _nowadays_ are a bit more than 20 minutes long (10-20 years ago, they were about 22.5 mins). The original Trek episodes are around 50 minutes long (for an hour long show of course).

So it seems to me that 3-4 minutes are being cut.

13. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You presumably have a TiVo.. What is wrong with starting a show at 3:17? At least if the scheduling info properly states that..?

14. Scarpad

Scarpad Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Western Ma
    Yep I just encoded some episodes this week for my Apple TV, most are 25 min. I picked up the entire series box set for around $60 some months back

15. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO

Read the rest of my comment minus the spelling...

IOW, it might be somewhat ok to start a show at 3:17 if that's when it actually started. But when they claim it will start at 3:17 but at 3:17 I'm getting the end of the previous show then it sucks...

Lastly, it cuts into two time slots for one 30 minute show the way they do it. One tuner has to wait until 17 minutes after to start recording which means it won't be ready for a new channel at 30 after. So that means one 30 minute show is actually taking two time slots. It must be to get you to stay on their channel since who wants to turn to a new show 17 minutes into it???

They make the whole down thing go buck wild...

16. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

"WHAT is a Danny Thomas?"

17. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Marlo's dad.

18. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The line I quoted was from the episode that had Danny Thomas playing an invading alien in a dream. (Can't remember if it turned out to be Rob or Laura who was dreaming.)

In the dream, someone accused him of being Danny Thomas playing a trick on them, and the alien replied "WHAT is a Danny Thomas?"

You don't remember the closet full of walnuts?

19. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Hey! Spoilers!

The episode you quoted from is "It May Look Like a Walnut!" -- one of the best episodes of the entire show.

It's Rob's dream because
    he is happy to wake up and discover that he can type because he still has his thumbs.
    -- and don't you remember the scene where
    the closet door opens and Laura comes riding down on the cascade of walnuts?

And the other choice quote of the episode:

"I have twenty-twenty-twenty-twenty vision."

20. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    LOL. I remembered the scenes but not the quotes. Are these spoilers if they are 40 years old? I mean if someone told me how Gone with the Wind ends before I saw it I would not care. spoiler - the South loses. :)