Dick Clark clip available?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jasper2k, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Jan 1, 2006 #1 of 40
    Jasper2k

Jasper2k New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I missed recording ABC last night and I wanted to catch Dick Clark's appearance on New Year's Rockin' Eve....

While there are TONS of news stories online, I can't seem to find a clip of his appearance... does anyone know where I can find it? It's not on ABC's site anywhere.

Thanks!! :eek:

2. Jan 1, 2006 #2 of 40
    atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'd like to see it too. I just talked to my dad and he said while it was admirable that he came back and did the show, it was quite painful to watch and he almost changed the channel. :(

3. Jan 1, 2006 #3 of 40
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Glad I'm not the only one who found it disturbing. Although he didn't look bad, he sounds really bad.

4. Jan 1, 2006 #4 of 40
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I could only watch for a few minutes before changing the channel. I felt so bad for the guy.

I wonder if it was a difficult decision for the network to have Dick appear this year.

5. Jan 1, 2006 #5 of 40
    Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    It was so hard to watch. He sounded too much like Crack Head Bob of Howard Stern fame. It's the first time in my life I was relieved to hear Ryan Seacrest talk. If I were a betting man, I'd bet we saw the last Rockin New Years Eve with Dick Clark last night. :(

6. Jan 1, 2006 #6 of 40
    Jasper2k

Jasper2k New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that... I saw a brief clip on the news, which is what makes me want to see the whole thing...

I see it much more positively, I guess. Mr. Clark would not have appeared if he didn't want to (his production company owns the show so it's his call), and the fact that he is fighting hard to come back from a devastating stroke is really empowering to me. Rather than be written off, he actually wanted to come back for a "handoff" - I like to think that his desire to appear may have helped in his rehabilitation...

At any rate, if anyone finds the clip, I'd sure like to view it, please! And thanks again!! :)

7. Jan 1, 2006 #7 of 40
    Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    I was taken aback by his performance, and more so by just how much it struck me. I hadn't considered him to be such an American icon until I saw him in this state and realized that America had essentially lost him as that icon. It brought tears to my eyes.

8. Jan 1, 2006 #8 of 40
    justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    His speech was slurred, but his spirit was inspiring. At first, I was shocked - this was the man who was never supposed to grow old. Yet, as I watched, I saw his tremendous courage, and I admire him very much. I hope he continues to improve, and we see him back next year.

But, this post doesn't help the OP, as I don't have a clip. However, a clip will be upsetting and only show his disability - I think you really needed to see the whole thing to understand what kind of bravery and heart he showed.

9. Jan 1, 2006 #9 of 40
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I had the same visceral reaction to hearing Dick Clark that I did to hearing Kirk Douglas after his stroke and Jack Klugman after his throat cancer. You admire their courage but you can't help but realize (with a sinking feeling) that they're never going to be the same again.

10. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I admire Kirk Douglas and Dick Clark for coming back from strokes and being brave enough to appear.

It used to be that any person with a disability was hidden from public view. I've talked to people who can't watch Itzhak Perlman play violin on TV because the sight of his crutches is too upsetting. :rolleyes:

Stuff happens to people. But they can and do go on with their lives. And I don't see why they shouldn't.

Jan

11. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I think some, or all, of Dick Clark's segments were pre-recorded. Dick was never on live as late as the later segments. Ryan Seacrest and Dick were doing a segment from the studio at virtually the same time yet you never saw them on camera together.

12. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    There is a story on the show in today's New York Times. Here's an excerpt:

Mr. Clark seemed, in short, old. He missed words and, seated at a desk, kept atypically still. Sometimes his impaired speech seemed comical; mostly it was touching. The adolescence of America's Oldest Living Teenager - Mr. Clark's hyper, chipper, fun-loving persona - had, in his 76th year, finally abandoned him. In its place was another, more ambiguous holiday figure: the couchbound relative who, maudlin and exhausted, weeps at how lucky he is to be around his family one more year.

13. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    There is a story and apparently a video clip available on the front page of cnn.com

14. Bill N

Bill N Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Doylestown, PA
    I was both upset hearing his speech and proud to see him make a comeback.

I remember meeting Dick in 1992 and what a help he was as an alum of our fraternity at Syracuse Univ. He and his roommate from our fraternity almost single-handedly helped make our purchase of an incredible old mansion possible. He and a group of his classmates came back and had some hilarious stories for all of us.
    It was great to see him help us both financially and by taking the time to come to visit us and letting us build a weekend around the visit.

Sorry for rambling.....guess i'm just throwing out a public thank you to Dick for his years of help...

15. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    there is a clip available at this blog. (Disclaimer: it's not mine)

After midnight, I thought he got better. I imagine he'll visit Larry King in a few months and be improved still.

16. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I'm not sure that's true. I read several reports that he stayed on until after 1 a.m.

17. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
  18. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    It was a great show of determination on his part and I hope he keeps improving. One side effect of having so many facelifts is that his face did not show the typical issues with stroke victims. At times I also though his speech sounded like the voice translator that Steven Hawking uses.

I wonder if he will be back next year or if he was really pushing to do it one last time. :(

19. askewed

askewed Snoogins

Sep 12, 2000
    NJ
    There is a 'at the stroke of midnight' pun here some where but I'm too tired to find it.

20. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I hate to say it but Dick was sooooooo hard and disturbing to watch that I just recorded it so I could skip over his parts later on and watched another channel.

He even messed up the final 10 second countdown and was wishing everyone a happy new year seconds before and while everyone else was still counting down.

I still have it saved as I like Ashley Simpson and she sang three songs.

Rich