Dialog on Live TV Comes Out Left/Right and Not Center

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by Consultant, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Consultant

Consultant New Member

Dec 30, 2020

Advertisements

One oddity I recently discovered is that dialog on all live channels (Sling, Locast) is in stereo with no audio produced from the center channel (and this is with my Yamaha receiver the audo signal is Dolby Digital+ Surround.) All movies streamed from Netflix, HBO Max, etc, the dialog correctly comes out the center channel. When I had Xfinity, I had the opposite problem. Too much of the dialog on live TV (if not all of it) came out only the center channel. While technically maybe that's the correct way to do it, it sounds much better if a small portion of the dialog (for like news, etc) is also sent to the left and right speakers - at least that's my personal preference if having a slightly wider sound field for the dialog on live TV.

See for yourself, play something on Sling like the News and you'll see the center channel is basically silent.

2. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    Aren't the live channels from Sling still only in stereo?

jwort93 likes this.
  3. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Correct, with the exception of AT&T TV, none of the OTT streaming live TV providers have 5.1 audio. Regular on-demand streaming services do for the most part though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    Despite the fact that the signal is stereo, the TS4K is probably causing the OP's receiver to show a "Dolby Digital 5.1" signal because....I don't know why but that's what the TS4K does.

5. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly

Advertisements

Locast is stereo only as well. Low quality pic and low quality sound.

I would think you'd have to use a dsp based surround setting to get some dialog out of the center channel for non surround sources.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk