Dialing in for update on a VoIP

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by maur, Aug 18, 2007.

1. maur

maur New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Hello all, I've got a Series 1 that has lifetime one it and it's been sitting in dark room for the last couple years. Take it out once a month or so and power it up so the hard drive doesn't go wonky on it but that's about it so far. My problem is that I don't have a phone line for updating and it's killing me knowing it's just sitting there remembering how much my TV viewing experience was bettered by it.

Question, with the demise of Sunrocket I picked up an AC-211-SR Gizmo for cheap and changed the settings so that I could use Gizmo Project on it. (added with Grand Central I've got unlimited inbound calling for free and outbound at $0.015 a min (in continental US) which isn't bad) Anyways I was wondering if anyone out there has the same setup or something close that allows their unit to connect when calling. I've tried the ",#019", ",#034", ",#064", and "*99" prefixes and no luck. My next step is to try this with Skype and see if that'll work also. Am I just going to have to break down and get a phone line or can someone give a guy a hand.

Thanks in advance!

2. maur

maur New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    well no luck so far but figured I'd bump this and see if anything new came out. :)

3. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    I used to have a Series 1 as well (and I think I might have even done this with my Series 2 before I had them all on broadband, can't really remember... I'm gettin old!)

Anyway, as far as I know, and as far as I can tell by digging through forums, the only VOIP that the Tivo is known to actually work with is Vonage.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and there's another VOIP service that also works.)

I can tell you that I used to use my Series 1 with Vonage and in general it worked just fine. I seem to remember that it did require a bit of tweaking to my Vonage settings, but once I had it working, it stayed working for me until I switched to broadband and Series 2.

Hope this helps!

4. gina_romantica

gina_romantica New Member

May 12, 2009
    I have vonage and a series 2 which I'm trying to get started...but the phone line keeps failing when trying to do the initial setup. I'm calling from one area code to another, also, by the way, but since it's not long distance it shouldn't be a problem...what can I do to get the Vonage line to work with my Series 2? Any suggestions? Otherwise, I would have to get my computer hooked up to a wireless router and communicate with the Series 2 that way...which I hate to do. I'm happy with my broadband and voip set up as it is. The phone line worked for my DirecTv when I had it...now that I'm off chasing the TiVo isntead, it seems I am not so lucky. Anyone?

5. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    I don't know is this will help you at all, cuz it's been a long time since I was dealing with my Tivos over dial-up, but I do remember doing a couple of things to my Vonage settings. I can't remember if I had to put some sort of pre-dial thingy in the dial string (i might have had to) but I do deifnately remember that I basically had to turn the "badwidth saver" feature off on Vonage to keep the connection. Otherwise, it either wouldn't connect at all or would connect and then disconnect before it could do anything.

I believe you had to set this via your Vonage account on the website. You justs set the voice quality to the highest level.

Of course, this is very old information now, so I'm not sure how Vonage works these days. It might be something to check, though.