1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dial up service not being offered anymore

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bebw, Jun 18, 2018.

1. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    I called today to Tivo Support because my Tivo is not able to connect with the telephone numbers I have. They said they are discontinuing their call-up connection and offered me a wireless adapter. Anyone hear about this?

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
  3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    LOL. ... Pretty visible in my browser at least. Not intending to pick on this OP in particular but there seem to be many who ask questions without having made the slightest effort to look around -- just a pet peeve. (I am the "cranky old novice" after all.)

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Are they offering you a free wireless adapter (and which one)? If so, good for you and grab it. :)

5. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    They offered me a wireless G adapter. It plugs in to the USB port in the back of the Tivo and picks up the Tivo signal wirelessly from your internet connection. I don't like wireless but it's the only option they are offering. It is 39.95 but that's not bad.

6. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Phasing out dialing in to Tivo on a regular dial up telephone line. None of my telephone numbers will connect. Phase out is to be complete by the end of this month. If you are seeing anything on a 'browser' you aren't using a wired telephone connection anyway.

7. NJ Webel

NJ Webel Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    What he meant was, there is already a thread on this topic (linked to in the second post). No need to start a new thread.

stile99 likes this.
  8. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    dial up lol

welcome to 1998

Bigg likes this.
  9. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I didn't even know that dial-up internet still existed. I remember a time when I thought that I'd never pay all that extra money for faster internet and now I could never imagine using dial-up again. Plus, the cost went down so it was palatable.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I figured they'd give a bigger discount. You can get a cheapo from Amazon for half that price:
    https://www.amazon.com/VAR11N-300-Multi-Functional-Wireless-Portable-Repeater/dp/B01199OGK0

bebw likes this.
  11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I wasn't clear if TiVo was charging you for it (I guess so?). I don't know if TiVo would provide it for free if you pushed, given the circumstances (TiVo's action/decision, not yours).

Also can be found at eBay.com for around $10-$15 pre-owned, shipped. I purchased my TiVo wireless G adapter pre-owned many years ago via Craigslist, and it's been fine/no issue whatsoever--it seems like a pretty rock-solid item, and essentially plug-'n-play (just changing settings in the TiVo box set-up). Something to consider.

tivo wireless g | eBay

Also, again: TiVo_Ted's discussion of the discontinuance of dial-in, which you may find of interest (including possible options and special offers): Phasing out dial-up modem service.

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    mdavej likes this.
  13. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    I noticed that after I wrote the reply. I haven't been at Tivo Community for many years and didn't see the topic.

14. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    I didn't mean 'dial up' for my internet connection. I meant dial up telephone connection for my Tivo connection. My Tivo has a telephone cord running from it to a telephone outlet in a wall - a landline connection. So many people don't have landlines anymore. I got my Tivo data via a 'dial up' telephone line.

15. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Yes, they were charging me 39.95 for the G adapter. It may make a difference that they can see I haven't connected for years so they may feel they aren't 'cutting me off'. They suggested a new unit may be better for me and then proceeded to offer me a new Bolt for more money than they are advertised for on their website. I mentioned that it amounted to more money and she just said yes. I don't know if she didn't understand me or what. She offered me a free Bolt BUT I had to enter a contract to pay monthly $19.95 for two years. I asked if my lifetime service went with that, she said no. I asked could I purchase lifetime service for it, she said yes but not until the two years were up. I asked how much would it cost then, she said $549.00 so in a sense I'd be paying double for the Bolt and regular price for the Lifetime. I talked to someone else a few weeks before that who was going to give me $50 off a new Bolt. The lack of any good deal may be because I haven't been connected for years but doesn't explain the inflated price of getting a new Bolt. I did remember to thank her for the opportunity to pay extra for a new Bolt.

16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Personally, I would skip the TiVo G adapter purchased directly from TiVo and instead buy one of the used eBay listings, at only around $10 shipped (see above). As I mentioned, I purchased mine used (looked like new) and it's been a solid performer for many years; these things don't have moving parts, apart from folding open, and seem to me to be rock-solid performers. And at that low price, low risk.

You also could go back to TiVo and note that you purchased the box for dial-up, not Internet, connection, and that it is TiVo that now is changing the game, years later, for its own benefit--as such, TiVo simply, now, should provide you with a free adapter so that you can continue to use its box. You also could mention, and press, that you have Lifetime on your box, and under that, TiVo contracted to provide service to the box for the box's lifetime--TiVo now unilaterally is modifying that by dropping the dial-in accessibility that originally came with the box. As such, you would point out, TiVo should provide you with a free wireless adapter so as not to be in breach of its Lifetime agreement with you.

However you proceed, recommended to connect the box now to the TiVo service so that TiVo sees the box as "current" (and, if you do get the adapter, to connect up periodically, such as monthly or so). In the past year, TiVo has had some upgrade promo. deals for the Series 2 box, under which, if you buy a new Bolt directly from TiVo, it would allow you to transfer your Lifetime from the old box to the new, for $99. The "hitch": the box must have connected to the TiVo service in the prior 12 months (I believe). And so, good to have that condition met, should this promotion come back (as it has, a few times).

17. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Mikeguy likes this.
  18. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    Actually, over 9 million people still use dial up. Many times it's the only Internet access they have or the only kind they can afford.

CopRock and Mikeguy like this.
  19. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
  20. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Absent someone already having one of the listed alternatives, I would be hard-pressed to recommend other than simply picking up TiVo's own proven Wireless G Adapter used via eBay.com or Craigslist, etc., as low as only $10-$15 shipped.