DHCP question regarding 2 routers...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by siratfus, Mar 15, 2021.

1. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008

Advertisements

Hey Guys, I connected a second router to my Frontier router. In the online tutorials I've read, they advise to turn off DHCP of the second router, since this could cause conflict. But I realize the Frontier is using 192.168.254.XXX, whereas the Netgear router is using 192.168.1.XXX. Does this mean that it's okay to let the Netgear give out it's own IP addresses?

Second question. Right now, I also set up a different SSID for the Netgear. What would happen if I let it have the same SSID and password as the Frontier? Chaos? LOL! Thanks in advance.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    No.

Change the Frontiers IP to match your Lan's IP with a complimentary IP.

Maybe something like 192.168.1.2 and disable DHCP.

-KP

3. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    If you are doing this....

Frontier -> Frontier Router -> WAN port of your router -> through your router -> your gear lives on the LAN side of your router
    ... then you want the dhcp server enabled on your router. The frontier router is just "the internet" to your router, and your router is servicing your home.

If you are doing this....

Frontier -> Frontier Router -> your wired gear and the LAN side of your router -> router as an access point (wan side of router goes nowhere) -> your wireless gear
    ... then you want the dhcp server disabled on your router.

Or to put it another way, think of each router having a front and a back, with the front facing the internet, and the back facing your lan. If they're all facing the same direction, leave their dhcp servers on. But if two routers backsides are facing each other, turn off the dhcp server on the one whose front isn't facing the internet.

(That analogy just popped into my head, it may not be the brightest thing I've ever said)

4. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Not sure if I completely understand, but to be precise... The fios gateway is an Aris, an all in one modem + router combo. The ethernet from the ONT goes into the the port that says ONT on the Gateway. One of the lan ports is then connected to the WAN port of the Netgear Router.
    As is, everything seems to be functioning fine. I have two admins that I can go into, the frontier admin and the Netgear admin, and they each have their own SSID. Is this the first scenario you laid about above?

The second scenario you're talking about is if I were to connect one of the lan ports from the Fios Gateway to one of the lan ports of the Netgear, right? Leaving the wan port of the netgear empty. Then in this scenario, I'd want to go into Netgear's admin and disable DHCP, correct?